Webgl support question

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
From the Asset Store
Comprehensive localization solution for Construct 3 projects, no addons required!
  • Hi guys n.n

i have a very important questions... i was tenting my pre alpha game at the pcs of the animation studios where my boyfriend used to work....i tried in about 10 pcs, but none had webgl activated....in that case

what steps to enable webgl would you recommend me to tell my costumers if their pc does not have webgl activated?? im thinking on poping a warning msg at the start if webgl is not activated... but i dont know what to say...

where do you activate webgl??? is there an installer?? i know some gpus are baclklisted... this is another problem...

any recommendations? thanks in advance n.n

• xp/vista no webgl

• It's browser dependant.

Internet Explorer 10 and earlier does NOT support WebGL.

But IE 11 and onwards DOES.

Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera (the other major PC browsers) all supports WebGL.

It's NOT dependant on operating system as winsonzhong indicates, but solely on the browser installed.

Construct 2 does, however, have Canvas fallback, which is supported from earlier versions of Internet Explorer such as 9 and 10.

Personally, I'm doing an Internet Explorer version check; if earlier than 11, the visitor will get a "please choose another browser" screen, with links to Chrome, Firefox and Opera.

As webGL must be part of the browser javascript engine, it's not something you can just install separately.

Worth noticing; WebGL version 2 is coming soon - and it'll have a lot more features and better performance than the current WebGL version 1.

• It's browser dependant.

Internet Explorer 10 and earlier does NOT support WebGL.

But IE 11 and onwards DOES.

Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera (the other major PC browsers) all supports WebGL.

It's NOT dependant on operating system as winsonzhong indicates, but solely on the browser installed.

Construct 2 does, however, have Canvas fallback, which is supported from earlier versions of Internet Explorer such as 9 and 10.

Personally, I'm doing an Internet Explorer version check; if earlier than 11, the visitor will get a "please choose another browser" screen, with links to Chrome, Firefox and Opera.

As webGL must be part of the browser javascript engine, it's not something you can just install separately.

Worth noticing; WebGL version 2 is coming soon - and it'll have a lot more features and better performance than the current WebGL version 1.

Actually chrome (and node webkit) by default disable the hardware acceleration on xp and vista, however, this is not related to webGL only.

As for your problem, It will depend on the exporter used (if it is html5 then jacobdam did a pretty nice summary), if it is another one, then the usual updating of the graphic card driver should help some, and there are other things too. Keep in mind that node webkit will not only disable webGL on XP and Vista, but hardware acceleration in general.

• Ideally your game would still run OK using canvas2d rendering, and turn off any effects or provide alternatives/fallbacks so it still looks correct. Then you don't need to tell the user anything.

• Ashley

my game runs well on canvas 2d... but my game will be very big... (about 500mb of Vram used) i dont think cpu accleration will cut it to keep the fps at 60...

winsonzhong

Aphrodite

jakobdam

i forgot to tell you that my game will be on Node-webkit... now then???

• [quote:ifqycgqd]Keep in mind that node webkit will not only disable webGL on XP and Vista, but hardware acceleration in general.

Is there any way to get around this? There seems to be so many hoops for end-users to go through to get webgl/hardware-accelerated rendering going on otherwise capable systems. It's worrying.

• [quote:3rresmxk]Keep in mind that node webkit will not only disable webGL on XP and Vista, but hardware acceleration in general.

Is there any way to get around this? There seems to be so many hoops for end-users to go through to get webgl/hardware-accelerated rendering going on otherwise capable systems. It's worrying.

I think there are ways to skip to gpu blacklisting (with the ignore gpu blacklist flag, not sure how to enable them, I think a shortcut can do the trick)

• The next version of node-webkit supports disabling the GPU blacklist in node-webkit in all Windows versions. Previously you needed a workaround (create a shortcut and add the command line parameter to that).

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • great cant wait for the next version of node-webkit

• Cool, good to hear

• Does anyone know if C2 v187 node-webkit exported projects support WebGL in all versions of Windows now?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)