Who wants CocoonJS support back?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Comprehensive localization solution for Construct 3 projects, no addons required!
  • Blacksmith but that would imply that scirra is supporting actively this exporter and so, are responsible if there are bugs with it, which is not the case.

• It has become impossible to support cocoonjs, and within a year cocoonjs will be obsolete.

Depreciating it now is the right choice.

Remember - Huge difference between depreciating it, and disabling it.

It is still available for anyone wanting to use it. But, it will stop new users from starting a new project with something that is only going to get worse.

I am very happy with this move. I am only sorry it wasn't implemented long ago. Would have saved many many hours of wasted time.

• DUTOIT

Hear, hear, young sir.

• > I'd love to get rid of Cocoon... but it's the only program that allows me to use the text box to enter names into my game.

>

> For the time being, I'm sadly stuck with it!

>

Is there a problem with the basic textboxes of C2?

Aphrodite - Not to confuse it with the text object. As far as I am aware, textboxes are not supported by the other exporters. I'm using it to allow players to input names on the iPad, but I read and was told that Cocoon is the only one that supports textboxes.

• >

> > I'd love to get rid of Cocoon... but it's the only program that allows me to use the text box to enter names into my game.

> >

> > For the time being, I'm sadly stuck with it!

> >

>

> Is there a problem with the basic textboxes of C2?

>

Aphrodite - Not to confuse it with the text object. As far as I am aware, textboxes are not supported by the other exporters. I'm using it to allow players to input names on the iPad, but I read and was told that Cocoon is the only one that supports textboxes.

Crosswalk is mobile chrome, so it can do anything that mobile chrome can do.

• I wasnt confusing, cocoonjs is (was?) not supporting textboxes because it is a form control, that was what did not made sense in my head.

• DUTOIT Nice - I'll give that a go then! I'm somewhat worried that it won't be able to handle it, but we'll see. Thought Crosswalk was only for Android. I've been away for too long!

• DUTOIT Nice - I'll give that a go then! I'm somewhat worried that it won't be able to handle it, but we'll see. Thought Crosswalk was only for Android. I've been away for too long!

Ejecta is for iOS and

Crosswalk is for Android.

From iOS 8+ and Android L+ PhoneGap will be the way to go.

• One thing that didn't come out in our discussion is that Cocoon can also work as an Ouya exporter. Anyone actually used it to release a game there?

While I didn't personally fiddle with this specific option yet, I consider it relatively important. Are there other tools/ android based exporters that can be used as alternatives to CJS for this?

• What's the alternative way to quickly preview game on my Android phone with Cocoon?

• jook, there is a url bar within cocoonjs app where you can enter your local address for wifi to test your game. I think it's the same address you see when in Construct 2 and press F5 to preview in your browser.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • delaflaquita I put in "http://localhost:50000/" and it didn't work. It says, "Server not available".

• I believe cocoonJS should be gone and stay gone. Ad support through mopub had terrible implementation/ad fill rates, the splash screen was a blinky nightmare and the launcher crashed too much. Crosswalk with the apache plugins is the near perfect solution(at least for android, I have never developed for ios).

• are crosswalk and phonegad wrapper / browser like ejecta and cocoonjs ? or they are real engine ?

if they are real engine , they should be faster

remember that if we have some bad performance / fsp with cocconjs and ejecta that because they are wrapper (like emulation)

and ... are crosswalk and phonegab supporting canvas2d ? (i don't interested about webgl even i developp for iphone 4)

thanks in advance for the person who will reply

• delaflaquita I put in "http://localhost:50000/" and it didn't work. It says, "Server not available".

You need to enable the preview over wifi inside C2

matrixreal it is not as easy as that, cocoonJS and Ejecta are actually engines, they are just not based off nor working like browsers engines, and so they lack some features (notably every form control, but not only), also while ejecta is open source , cocoonjs is maintained by ludei, and they have troubles so their focus is not what it should be (I think they are trying to have an investor so they can get up again, but it does not seem to bode well for them).

Crosswalk is chrome for android combined with you game, as an apk with some API access (so based on an open source browser engine, an maintained by companies with a assured future before them), phonegap is basically just the game communicating with the webview of the device and the APIs (basically it runs on the integrated browser engine on all android and iOS devices, however it is not that great until android L and iOS8).

Also all of them supports canvas2D, to be exact, if webGL is not possible, canvas2D will be used as a fallback

Webgl tends to be faster, except in some particular cases, so it is recommended to let it on, but you can set it off inside C2 if you ever need it.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)