Can I upload Mac builds to Steam from windows yet?

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
Vintage steam pixels for your UI! 125 unique assets in a single pack!
  • From months ago, there was a convoluted procedure to get Mac builds working, is that still the case?

Can I upload my Mac build with the PC steam SDK yet?

• There was a period where there was an issue with Mac file permissions with NWJS or something?

• The problem is Windows doesn't understand the necessary file permissions to ensure a Mac app is executable. So I'm not sure there's any way this is possible, without using a different container format like a zip which you never extract on Windows.

• The problem is Windows doesn't understand the necessary file permissions to ensure a Mac app is executable. So I'm not sure there's any way this is possible, without using a different container format like a zip which you never extract on Windows.

I remember a while ago you said that this has been fixed in Construct 3. Now I know what you're thinking but I'm not asking for a backport but rather would like to ask, how did you manage to fix/workaround this issue?

You probably know that I have a dedicated topic for NW.js workarounds and I wouldn't mind providing a custom application or whatever it takes in order to give C2 users an easy workaround for this issue.

Again not complaining or trying to stir things up, just asking nicely if you could provide all the necessary information involved in the C3 workaround if possible.

• Now I know what you're thinking but I'm not asking for a backport but rather would like to ask, how did you manage to fix/workaround this issue?

By using a zip. It took a few days solely to reverse engineer the zip format and figure out how to hack our zip library to put the right flags in the right places.

• > Now I know what you're thinking but I'm not asking for a backport but rather would like to ask, how did you manage to fix/workaround this issue?

By using a zip. It took a few days solely to reverse engineer the zip format and figure out how to hack our zip library to put the right flags in the right places.

TheRealDannyyy

Is this enough for you?

So if I use this option:

Would the application not work properly because of those flags?

• By using a zip. It took a few days solely to reverse engineer the zip format and figure out how to hack our zip library to put the right flags in the right places.

I guess this means that it's still necessary to upload to Steam from a Mac or does Steam accept .zip files in their upload process?

Also not sure about this but would you mind uploading the "hacked" part of the zip library you're using to Git if possible? (If it's not too deeply coded into C3 itself.)

I wouldn't mind creating a PWA or something similar to provide an easy solution.

Thanks for the response!

• Also not sure about this but would you mind uploading the "hacked" part of the zip library you're using to Git if possible? (If it's not too deeply coded into C3 itself.)

Sorry, that would be a bit of a nightmare. The code is all mashed up with the NW.js exporter itself. It's a pretty ugly hack.

• Actually steam does indeed accept ZIP files of your build if your app is under 256 MB -- you can do it straight from the steamworks build page. Ive never done it so not sure how it handles depots and stuff but worth a try?

• actually just looked and you can upload a ZIP per depot. so basically you build your shit out, zip it then upload the zips through the web interface in steamworks. Definitely worth a try!

• actually just looked and you can upload a ZIP per depot. so basically you build your shit out, zip it then upload the zips through the web interface in steamworks. Definitely worth a try!

WHAT!! I had no idea this was possible, would save me a ton of time of setting up steamworks, wow! Thanks for the tip!

• Once I've made the build on the Mac, can I zip it on the mac, then bring it back to Windows again, then upload?

There's no documentation on how to upload zips to Steam, whenever I try it, it doesn't work at all.

TheRealDannyyy thanks for your care and support for exports.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I don't know how much we should bother with OSX and Linux releases on Steam, according to their survey, they're both together represent less than 3.5% of the total users on Steam.

And though Linux is just 0.5% I got more engagement from their community on Steam than OSX.

store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)