Is it true that layout size doesn't affect performance?

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
220 Food Sprites in 16x16 pixel size. Perfect for items for a retro style game.
  • I read somewhere on here that layout size doesn't affect performance? Is this true? So technically we can have a layout of 20,000x20,000 but a small window size of 640x480, the 20000 size alone doesn't slow things down?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • If you don't try You'll never know.

• rainmaker : Generally - yes, but it depends on a couple factors. The more sprites and tiles you put in a single layout, the more memory that particular layout has to load, which will definitely lessen your performance.

• There is nothing in the engine itself that uses more memory or CPU depending on the layout size, so it's true that the layout size itself has no effect on performance. However if you fill a larger layout with objects, it's more likely to have a lot of objects, and having lots of objects can reduce performance. But in that case it's the object count reducing performance, not the layout size.

• If you don't try You'll never know.

LOL totally downloaded that. It worked smoothly for me!

• There is nothing in the engine itself that uses more memory or CPU depending on the layout size, so it's true that the layout size itself has no effect on performance. However if you fill a larger layout with objects, it's more likely to have a lot of objects, and having lots of objects can reduce performance. But in that case it's the object count reducing performance, not the layout size.

yes, I made a test with 20'000 x 20'000 and is working perfectly

another, I'm making game with 8000x 2000, with the same range for 3 tilemap, and 8 layer with 3 background.... and the fps are 61 in iphone5s

I suggest to try and look in debug... make a different way is the best method to see which way is better

• I just put a huge layout into only 200x200 but margins are 25000 and 25000 (unbounded scrolling: Yes). It seems that strangely layout size does not affect the outcome at all! The little layout dotted line square gets smaller but at least in my game it doesnot have any purpose. I wonder if it makes the game run smoother.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)