Translating game to other languages.. a few Qs

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
five golem elements Sprites Sheet.Best for enemy or villain game characters.
  • I'm currently working on translating my game to German, French and Spanish and I have a few questions for native speakers of those languages.

If you went to Steam and purchased a game that supports your language. When you installed it, would it be typical for ALL text elements of the game to be in your language? Or is it common for some elements to be in English?

Take the game title for example. My game's title is Cluckles' Adventure. Would you expect the game title to read in your language? Or would it be common for it to be left as it's English translation? Like, apparently the title translates as follows:

German: CLUCKLE’S ABENTEUER

French: L'AVENTURE DE CLUCKLES

Spanish: CLUCKLES’ ADVENTURE (My translator left it the same for Spanish?)

So would you expect the main game title, shown on menu screens etc to be written this way, or left as the English version?

How about buttons, like 'Start Game'. Would you expect these to be written as:

German: SPIEL STARTEN

French: COMMENCER LE JEU

Spanish: COMENZAR JUEGO

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I thing it is heavily dependent on the language and the translator.

Working with a translator that understands your game, will get you a good translation (he might suggest, that translating the title is unnecessary).

Btw i would have help with with the title if i knew those languages.

• No, don't translate the name of your game! At least not in german! The name is like a brand. You wouldn't translate the name of your company either, would you?

There are two exceptions I think:

If a game is for kids who are too young to speak english. "Cluckle's Abenteuer" sounds childish.

Or names like "Kill them all" (Töte sie alle) COULD be translated.

Examples from movie names:

Doctor Strange -> untranslated

Deadpool -> untranslated

Finding Dory -> Findet Dorie (translated)

Arrival -> untranslated

Pets -> untranslated

Ice Age -> untranslated

You see: even Ice Age and Pets where not translated because they're more like brand names than titles.

As a german I would say: don't translate it into german! So rather ask the people before translating

This applies for the title! Ingame you could translate everything down to the buttons.

• Hi Noisefever thanks for the advice.

Ok then. Sounds like I should leave the game title as is, but all text in the game (menus, cutscenes, UI, buttons) should be translated to German.

I have all the text translated already. In some places it will be challenging to get the words to fit in the available space. It seems a short sentence or a few words in English can be a bit longer when translated, especially in French!

• Hi Noisefever thanks for the advice.

Ok then. Sounds like I should leave the game title as is, but all text in the game (menus, cutscenes, UI, buttons) should be translated to German.

I have all the text translated already. In some places it will be challenging to get the words to fit in the available space. It seems a short sentence or a few words in English can be a bit longer when translated, especially in French!

I can help you out with german

Just let me know!

• I can help you out with german

Just let me know!

Hi Andy. You mean to read over the translation to see if its accurate? I could share a link?

• >

> I can help you out with german

> Just let me know!

>

Hi Andy. You mean to read over the translation to see if its accurate? I could share a link?

Yes Just send me a PM.

• The tittle on spanish is: Las aventuras de Chuckle.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)