Text-based mmorpg question

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Hand-animated Sprite Base for isometric game/animation development
  • Greetings

I am an online marketing developer, I've been doing this for 15 years now. I would like to test a bit the online games niche, and my plan is to start with a medieval Europe game. I like medieval history, I have the advertising knowledge to bring customers, and I have basic programming skills. Is Construct 2 a tool capable to create this kind of game? There are a few examples of something similar to what I want to achieve. One is

http://www.renaissancekingdoms.com/[/code:1ab9bep7]. First I need an engine if possible, I would rather use something extensively tested, than start from scratch. 

I have an economic science bachelor degree, and a programming college diploma, so together with my experience in online marketing, this should be a good start.

Thank you!
  • Greetings

I am an online marketing developer, I've been doing this for 15 years now. I would like to test a bit the online games niche, and my plan is to start with a medieval Europe game. I like medieval history, I have the advertising knowledge to bring customers, and I have basic programming skills. Is Construct 2 a tool capable to create this kind of game? There are a few examples of something similar to what I want to achieve. One is

http://www.renaissancekingdoms.com/[/code:1j84utle]. First I need an engine if possible, I would rather use something extensively tested, than start from scratch. 

I have an economic science bachelor degree, and a programming college diploma, so together with my experience in online marketing, this should be a good start.

Thank you!

First of all I don't know the game so have only looked at the screenshot and from the description it says its a RPG, strategic and political game. My initial guess is that you should be able to make something similar to this in C2, but that it wont be easy. But that is not related to C2 especially, but in general regardless of what tool you use. There are a lot of coding that needs to be done and depending on your programming skills, I would say that should you choose to use C2 you would probably be able to learn it fairly fast. So the biggest issue I think you will have is project organisation, which in my opinion at least, is an area where C2 is not all that good. Not meaning that its worse than other tools, but working on big projects you can easily screw things up, the tools for navigating a project are not really good. Its basically a "Search" which are fairly annoying to use, so personally I rarely use it. But if you can get your project organized well, you can do it I think.

As I don't know the game and how it works, you should be aware if you know you are going to use path finding, you need to test it in C2 and see if it can do what you need. Its very limited and not very flexible. There are some plugins created by some of the users that seems to be a bit better, but also work a little bit different. So if the free C2 version can use plugins you should check out that section on the forum.

But regardless of which path finding you use, you should be aware that C2 only uses one collision map. Which probably makes little sense to you, but simple put, it means that if you need different types of units like "Ground", "Ships" and "Air" units. You can't give them individual objects to collide with.

The reason I write this is because the game you refer to seem to use some path finding, so its of course good to know before choosing C2.

So overall I think you can make a game like that in C2, but it will require a lot of time.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Well I don't expect to do it very fast. I am also working with somebody, and first I want to setup a framework, rather than expect to finish everything fast. The game does not use pathfinding, you just move from city to city by picking the next city/region, and a time of travel appears, and when that's done, you are spawned in the next city.

I am still in the phase of trying to pick an already developed engine, but I am aware that the best choice might be doing it from scratch, which will be more difficult and time consuming, since I will first have to really enhance my programming skills from start.

Thanks for the answer

• This game looks fairly simple in C2 for the parts that are C2. The game is mostly a standard browser data driven game. With only a part that has anykind of interaction. I don't think this has much of any heavy weight in design. The "hardest" part is communicating between the CSS/DOM objects and the C2 engine. Again fairly simple with a custom plugin, maybe one already exists in the 3rd party area.

However 2/3 of this game is DOM driven and not Canvas driven. C2 is a Canvas engine. So you will be doing a lot of work on the non c2 side.

• Well I will have to understand what DOM and Canvas refer to. Thank you, I will read a bit about these things.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)