support for isometric orientation for C2 with tilemap obj

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Comprehensive localization solution for Construct 3 projects, no addons required!
  • Hello

Any hope for support of isometrical orientation with tilemap object in C2? Currently it only supports orthogonal TMX maps, that kinda limit us who are doing isometric games...

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The problem is that even if it supported isometric maps, it still wouldn't work with z sorting.

Tilemaps are rendered as one texture, so all tiles have to be at the same z.

Sure it might help a bit for backgrounds, but for the bulk of repeating textures you really have to go with the tiled background object.

• but what is the problem with z sorting? Tiled program already sort it based on your configuration.. The main reason for asking that feature is to make the whole background of the áreas.

I'm doing an isometric game and adding Sprite per Sprite in the whole layout will first take a lot of unnecessary time and second, will consume a lot of CPU and fps depending on the client machine..

• I render my own tiles using sprites... and it's virtually instant. The map generates as the screen/scroll position moves so it's only creating whatever the player can see at the time which stops the cpu being used too much at one time.

So it's definitely possible to do "manually" - if I can do it, anyone can do it. Lol

~Sol

• I render my own tiles using sprites... and it's virtually instant. The map generates as the screen/scroll position moves so it's only creating whatever the player can see at the time which stops the cpu being used too much at one time.

So it's definitely possible to do "manually" - if I can do it, anyone can do it. Lol

~Sol

yes that's a way I already thinked about, the 'problem' of it is that in an isometric game, when you start placing the sprites in the layout editor you need to add from the top right to bottom left, otherwise you will have 'z' problem, you could obviously send it to back or front but imagine a canvas with more than 2000 objects, if you change one, you will have to change all the others after him, this as I said, in the editor... in runtime you can sort by Z with some few events but visually in the layout editor it will be a mess with things above others when it shouldn't...

• I trigger a zorder sort based on Y coordinates for about 5000 objects and there's no problem. I trigger it only when needed so it's not draining cpu time constantly. After your creation loop just trigger a zorder function

~Sol

• >

> yes that's a way I already thinked about, the 'problem' of it is that in an isometric game, when you start placing the sprites in the layout editor

>

This is all true. I made it myself easy by using layers in the layout. And move the sprites back to 1 layer during runtime. An example:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1SSu ... mtWVnc1cDg

Using R0J0hound's behavior.

behavior-isometric_t153967

No idea if this helps you

• You can also adjust zorder in editor as well... I just realised the ordering problem you were talking about was in editor not at runtime. There is a zordering option in editor for objects that are near each other.

~Sol

• You can also adjust zorder in editor as well... I just realised the ordering problem you were talking about was in editor not at runtime. There is a zordering option in editor for objects that are near each other.

~Sol

a zorder in the editor? are you talking about the z order bar? because that don't zorder automatically for me in the editor, I need to do it manually

• > You can also adjust zorder in editor as well... I just realised the ordering problem you were talking about was in editor not at runtime. There is a zordering option in editor for objects that are near each other.

>

> ~Sol

>

a zorder in the editor? are you talking about the z order bar? because that don't zorder automatically for me in the editor, I need to do it manually

Yes the zorder bar... unfortunately manual yes, would be nice for an automatic sort on the layout editor but it's better than nothing I suppose.

~Sol

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)