[SUGGESTION] External folders for Node-webkit

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
  • Let's being realistic...

It's not professional to have more than 80 mb in .exe to run, it could take a lot of time to start up, possibly, it won't run on some computers.

Stand alone executable is stupid idea to deploy videogames with big resources inside of .exe.

Image, Media and custom folders should be separated from .exe, I'm not sure it can load external like sprite images, audios, etc. very similiar to HTML structure, Im not talking about AJAX or Node-webkit filesystem, it's C2 engine that we cannot set path to load sprite sheets.

Isn't possible to separate folders from nw.exe?

• There a real example, Game Dev Tycoon takes faster startup because resources folders are separated from .exe, if you have this game check this directory out.

Proof:

• Oh man, didn't know about it. That would be great to have that feature.

Edit@ You can extract package.nw, but you can't place files in different folders. Atm the only solution I can see is to create shortcut and place it in folder higher in hierarchy.

But you're saying the .exe is 80mb. I didn't know it's growing the more stuff you add.

• nw,exe (and then yourproject.exe) is alway 39,4 MB (bytes: 41 346 048) and I have never seen nw.exe exported from C2 greater then that.

Everything you add to C2 project (graphics, sounds, text files and even c2runtime.js) goes to package.nw and is loaded from there when you run nw.exe.

• Yeah, it's pretty common practice to have all assets in a compressed data file, like a cab, dat or pk3 file. No problem with the way NW does it.

• shinkan Oh really? I didn't know, it seems I'm using old version of node-webkit... ugh! Thanks for this note!

Besides, the startup time is bothering me a lot

• shinkan Oh really? I didn't know, it seems I'm using old version of node-webkit... ugh! Thanks for this note!

Besides, the startup time is bothering me a lot

Have you got load per layout set up? Maybe that's why. Hard for me to say thought, I haven't really do anything big in c2 yet.

• megatronx It's not related to C2 editor, it happens when you double click node-webkit.exe it takes like 15 seconds to run the game.

Game Dev Tycoon was like damn 5 seconds.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • megatronx It's not related to C2 editor, it happens when you double click node-webkit.exe it takes like 15 seconds to run the game.

Game Dev Tycoon was like damn 5 seconds.

I remember having this happen to me to some time ago, with one of my prototypes. Out of curiosity what size is your game?

Also, going to pm you in a mo about something.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)