Strange FPS behavior

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
Strange factory themed set of tiles for your platformer game
  • Hello all,

I'm trying to understand something very strange on all my C2 projects. I don't know if it's related to the R178 or if it's just my system but here it is :

I have a strange fps issue in Chrome (and perhaps in NodeWebKit too but its less significant). Here is a very simple scene :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13847313/Scirra/Fps_Strange_Behavior.capx

When I play it in Chrome, my 60 fps drop to 40-50 after a few seconds then go back to 60. And it starts again a few seconds later...Etc.

So I'm saying to myself "What the hell"!? There's nothing in that scene. (And my PC is quite powerful)

Now If I remove the Platform Behavior on the cube, there's no more fps drop.

So I'm saying to myself "What the f**k"!?

Does anyone can test this on his machine to see if the issue is just on mine please ?

Thank you!!!!

• KaMiZoTo - I've noticed somethign similar to this, too. I can't remember how long ago, but the platform behavior alone seemed to start racking up and enormous amount of collision checks a few updates ago. I'm not sure if it pertained to that, though.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I dont see it as being unusual especially with how how garbage collection works on javascript.

• Have you tried the CAPX ?

Falling from 60 fps to 45/50 every 5-10 seconds seems to be new to me. It has a clear visual impact I haven't noticed before.

Anyway, if the platform behavior really impacts the fps that way, it should need a fix.

• Just tested again, and Chrome, IE, and FF all ran 60 fps rarely dropping to 55 once, and 57-59 the few other drops.

Safari, 40, and Opera, well lets just say below that.

Its to be expected along with the 10+ or - ms with all timers.

I should also mention setting text every tick can have an impact as well.

• I finally found the origin of the issue.

After a few tests, it seems it only appears in fullscreen (with or without the browser tabs (F11)) in chrome.

But if I use the window mode and scale it manually to the max size of my screen, there is not fps drop.

Then I unplugged my second screen (I have 2 monitors)

No more fps drops! Everything just works fine, in fullscreen or not.

So it seems that Chrome doesn't like fullscreen HTML5 applications with dual monitor!

Does anyone heard of that problem ? Is there a trick to fix this bug ?

• I finally found the origin of the issue.

After a few tests, it seems it only appears in fullscreen (with or without the browser tabs (F11)) in chrome.

But if I use the window mode and scale it manually to the max size of my screen, there is not fps drop.

Then I unplugged my second screen (I have 2 monitors)

No more fps drops! Everything just works fine, in fullscreen or not.

So it seems that Chrome doesn't like fullscreen HTML5 applications with dual monitor!

Does anyone heard of that problem ? Is there a trick to fix this bug ?

Nah, It might be that you have been running it on your second screen. I had the same issue and if i remember correctly displaying the game full screen on the main screen worked fine ( but will doublecheck ^^ )

• megatronx You're right. The issue only appears on the second screen.

but it's still a problem don't you think ? If you want to sell a game, you shouldn't have to say :"Hey player! By the way! Don't play my game on your second screen!".

• megatronx You're right. The issue only appears on the second screen.

but it's still a problem don't you think ? If you want to sell a game, you shouldn't have to say :"Hey player! By the way! Don't play my game on your second screen!".

Not really. Notice you can only play many games on screen number one. I had 560 and all aaa games i could only play on that screen.

• Could this also be a video card driver issue? I know I've had issues much like this where a game would have low fps unless I ran it in windowed mode. Turns out the drivers were the culprit.

• Could this also be a video card driver issue? I know I've had issues much like this where a game would have low fps unless I ran it in windowed mode. Turns out the drivers were the culprit.

Maybe, but I had that issue with my 560 msi

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)