2 Sprite animation requests

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
Carousel Animation, make carousel of you image gallery or anything
  • A couple of sprite animation suggestions on the playback modes.

Looping and non-looping are great! There are a couple of others that would really save a lot of image space.

Ping-Pong mode

Plays the animation forward, then plays it in reverse, then it loops. Top down walk cycles would be very simple, they would only have to animate a single foot step and , the reverse animation would take care alternate step. Trees swaying in the breeze would take half as many frames to do.

Scripted mode

Scripted mode would let us enter a playback sequence. So if I wanted to do the above ping-pong I would do something like "12345432" for a 5 frame single stride.

Lets say we have a wizard.... He pulls out A hat for 1 spell, and for another he pulls out a magic wand, and for self defense he pulls out a .44 caliber handgun. For each of those animations the first series of frames would be the same, but the last 3 or so would be the different object he produces. After he uses the objects he reverses the animation so it looks like he is returning the item to his robe. The reverse animation would use only duplicate frames.

For those 3 animations it would take a bunch duplicate frames.

There are workarounds to do almost what I am looking for, except the reverse animation. The workarounds would take a lot of extra programming, and probably cause some UN-needed CPU overhead.

Have a nice day.

• Hi -

1. What's wrong the already existing ping-pong mode ?

2. Why not duplicate the animation and change only the last few frames ? Duplicate images won't be stored multiple times. This makes the animations much easier to visualise

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hi -

1. What's wrong the already existing ping-pong mode ?

2. Why not duplicate the animation and change only the last few frames ? Duplicate images won't be stored multiple times. This makes the animations much easier to visualise

LOL! I never noticed the Ping-Pong before, thanks for pointing it out

How do we reverse animations? How do we share frames without writing our own playback system? TIA

EDIT:

Okey, to play an animation in reverse, just set to ping pong mode, and set it to the last frame... Then another condition to stop the animation from looping forward when it hits 0, and to trigger the next state in the desired sequence.

It would sure be cool if the sprite had a behavior for playback sequence. We could add the behavior for each sequence, and then just call the sequence from the Start animation actuator. An expression like Sprite.SequenceBehaviorName rather than the animation name.

Maybe a talented 3rd party plugin programmer will make something like this for us. It would sure save us a lot of memory to not have a bunch of duplicate frames.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)