Scripting possibilities

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
  • Hello,

I'm new in the forum, I've been interested in Construct 2 after trying the basic tutorial to see how it works. I was really surprised how much time it can save in a project.

However, being a programmer the absence of a scripting editor still leaves some doubts in my mind. I've seen the event manager, and it's great for people who have never programmed. But with my background, I felt it would have been much easier for me to write the simple conditions by hand. Worse, I found it first a little confusing first and hard to maintain later if there are many of them, because of poor visibility.

I have a few projects and I'm currently looking for a game engine like Construct 2. But I know that I'll have complex conditions, and that I'll need common commands such as arrays (multi-level), functions, classes, maybe organize things into modules. In a nutshell, I want to keep the good habits that programmers get over the years.

So my question is easy, is it possible to program and organize my games freely, or do I have to stick to C2 way of dealing things? Can C2 manage very complex logic that might be encapsulated into model classes?

Thank you in advance for your time

• I don't know much about this, but you can easily make your own plugins and behaviors with the SDK.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I have a few projects and I'm currently looking for a game engine like Construct 2. But I know that I'll have complex conditions, and that I'll need common commands such as arrays (multi-level), functions, classes, maybe organize things into modules. In a nutshell, I want to keep the good habits that programmers get over the years.

So my question is easy, is it possible to program and organize my games freely, or do I have to stick to C2 way of dealing things? Can C2 manage very complex logic that might be encapsulated into model classes?

Thank you in advance for your time

You won't make classes as in "regular" programming.

You might want to take a look at this tutorial which displays more advanced C2 use than the beginner's guide. It hopefully might give you a better overview of C2's possibilities.

(This tutorial might also be worth a check with a more "technical" approach)

Concerning your coders habits of writing lines of codes, C2's keyboard shortcuts might bring you a workflow you're more used to.

You can make complex projects with C2 using the full power of arrays, functions, dictionaries, webstorage and even more web oriented objects.

And as Sqiddster mentioned, if you feel you're limited with the built-in plugins and behaviors you can check the third-part plugins/behaviors released and even expand it yourself thanks to C2's SDK.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)