scaling a tiled Background ?

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
40 ambient sound loops. A wide selection of looping ambient sounds for different locations.
  • Hi,

i really like the tiled background object but it would be great if it could be scaled, like the spritefont for example, would that be hard to implement Ashley ?

the reason im asking is, i use larger sprites and scale them down in construct so the games look sharp on a wide range of resolutions, unfortunately tiled backgrounds that arent single colored get very blurry when they are upscaled so i have to use sprites and the object count goes up and up.

best regards

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Scaling sprites also introduces some artifacts but since most of the time you wont have repeating/tilling sprites you don't noticed very much. Scaling an image on an external image editor (like Ps) does produce better results however (in my opinion). So, perhaps do the scaling in Ps or gimp (you can also check for seems on those software and fix them on the spot) and after that import them into the Tilled Background object.

• Another solution is to create 2 tilemaps, one for each resolution and load the appropriate one depending on which device you are playing on.

• Scaling an image on an external image editor (like Ps) does produce better results however (in my opinion).

maybe im doing soemthing wrong but i cant share this opinion

the ikarus sprite is scaled in construct2 (added in large size and then just dragged to the size i wanted) while the boarder on top and bottom are tiledbackgrounds which where scaled with photoshop and then cleaned by hand of the "artifacts" added by the ps scaling

Another solution is to create 2 tilemaps, one for each resolution and load the appropriate one depending on which device you are playing on.

that sounds complicated but maybe that is my solution, will try that

• I am not sure I see the problem with the meander textures. Are you perhaps referring on the fact that every 5th vertical line is a bit thicker than the others? If so, I am sure that you can avoid that in Ps. Just use the offset effect and you will notice it there also.

As for Icarus, since it isn't a tilled texture, you can't really see any problems. On the other hand, I see now what you mean. You want a way to resize the sprites. The Icarus sprite isn't actually reduced in pixel information. The original pixel dimensions are intact. While the TB image is downscaled either from within C2 or in Ps. The downscale is what causes the artifacts. There isn't anyway around this however, you' ll have to predetermine the actual pixel dimensions for your TB textures. C2 (for the moment) only repeats the original dimensions.

• yeah thats what i meant! sorry if it wasnt clear in the first place, im not so good in expressing my thaughts in english :/

the tiled background seems blurry, the thicker boarder is just because i made a failure when i cleaned the blur from downscaling, have to redraw that part

i thought if there was a way in construct2 to say use this picture for tiling but only show it at 25% of the original size the blur wouldnt show

• fldr , there is a custom plugin called SpriteSheet by R0J0hount. It can act as a scalable Tilled Background and in fact, it offers animatable x,y offset values. The Downside is that it only shows the effect of the tilling at run time. Still, it can be very useful and it's a step forward the right direction which is tillable, animated sprites!!! (coming soon I hope)

• wow, thank you very much, i will take a look at that!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)