Running C2 on Windows 10 (Technical Preview).

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Creepy Sprite Font suitable font for your Dark/Horror/Halloween games.
  • Everything is fine!

• What happened with win 9?

• megatronx: if I remember correctly they leaped from 98 to 2000. Perhaps they are against the number 9. Anyway I can't but recommend it If you like win7.

• Because Windows 7 8 9! Hah, just kidding. That was a bad joke that was running around the internet.

Microsoft wanted to distance themselves from Windows 8. That's their official wording on it.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The reason MS skipped Windows 9 is because some computer programs, when trying to figure out the capabilities, reads your computer's OS, and when the string comes to the program, if it equals "Windows 9" then the program assumes that the OS is either Windows 95 or 98, then assumes that your computer is really old, and won't install.

• The reason MS skipped Windows 9 is because some computer programs, when trying to figure out the capabilities, reads your computer's OS, and when the string comes to the program, if it equals "Windows 9" then the program assumes that the OS is either Windows 95 or 98, then assumes that your computer is really old, and won't install.

really? geez, imagine the user agent stupidity coming to the OS names because of hacky design os sniffing.

• Just a bit of feed back for those who deploy to the Windows Store.

The W10 dev team seam hell bent on integrating the so-called metro interface with the desktop, which can be a nuisance and can even break some games (as in ruin game play).

Window Size Problems

The Windows8 plug used to have a Snapped mode which has now been deprecated. So now you have to use the Browser object to detect window size changes, to try to determine if the user has snapped your app, and if so pause the game.

In W10 the window by default now displays the app in reduced screen size, and you can maximize it if you want (like you don't want to run a Windows Store app in full screen - go figure!). So if your game relies on the browser object to detect window size then you are going to have to tweak it a bit.

Picture this scenario:

Game starts in reduced window (not full screen) User then toggles full screen mode Your game now pauses (because window size has changed) Weird - not the desired result....

Hopefully calling Browser.RequestFullScreen will solve this. Will have to try that.....

Title and Task Bar Changes

When the mouse hovers over the top of the screen the title bar is invoked (already in Win8.1) and the game loses focus.

Similarly the Task bar now intrudes into Windows Store apps as well, so if you hover the mouse over the bottom of screen the Task bar pops up and again your app loses focus.

So if your game is fast paced and uses mouse for input, you can easily lose when the mouse hits the top or bottom (or sides depending on your Task bar position) of screen.

Conclusion

So Windows Store apps already on the store may be broken to some extent. Now's the time to start fixing that...

• really? geez, imagine the user agent stupidity coming to the OS names because of hacky design os sniffing.

I can only imagine the insane amount of badly designed crap the Windows teams have to shuffle through, especially for top tier programs (Adobe, heh) to make them compatible with the next version, and then to have all these anti-fanboys of sorts blame every single problem on Windows. Apple constantly breaks things even with smaller updates and apparently that's alright.

I think given how many different configurations and applications Windows supports out of the box it's quite an amazing OS.

• I can only imagine the insane amount of badly designed crap the Windows teams have to shuffle through, especially for top tier programs (Adobe, heh) to make them compatible with the next version, and then to have all these anti-fanboys of sorts blame every single problem on Windows. Apple constantly breaks things even with smaller updates and apparently that's alright.

I think given how many different configurations and applications Windows supports out of the box it's quite an amazing OS.

Yeah, too right!

Given that Windows is the most widely used OS on the planet (oh, hang on, just let me get my flak gear on.... hang on.... nearly done.... ok done....) and rightly so, MS really should force Apple to fix their bugs so that their software can run on a better OS than it was originally designed for - like no fix, no work, no revenue...

uh oh, did I say better OS than mac!!! oops, darn it here comes the flaaaakkkkkk.........

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)