Request: Dump Memory Action

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
All you need to create an action RPG game, the Gamepack features sprites destined for instant use !
  • Hi there!

I recently had a strange experience with my latest game that was released on a console.

Although I was testing it regularly, when I finally had everything in, about 30 minutes into testing, the console would fill up with memory, and the game would crash.

I spoke to the console devs about it and they said it wasn't their fault, and I spoke to Ashley, and he said it wasn't C2s fault, however, he did suggest it was possible to create an action that would force a memory dump, but was hesitant because it wasn't a sought after feature.

I'm just wondering how hard it would be to include it. In the end I had to break every single one of my layouts into its own project. This is now a chore to maintain and a nightmare to set up. On top of this, my loading times went from 1 second to about 10 (as it needs to shut down one project and then load the next from scratch).

If it's quite simple, I'd really appreciate this being included. The console devs don't seem interested in improving things on their end, so I need to rely on Scirra.

Any chance of this happening?

• Going to give this a friendly bump, seeing as I've asked for this 3 times now, and been pretty much ignored each time.

I just want to know if it's a simple addition or not and whether it'll make an appearance.

• Are you thinking of something that would dump everything in memory between loading layouts?

I was under the impression that everything that would not be needed for the next layout was purged.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I'm still saying that the best would be to give the developers memory loading and dumping controls with a warning that it's an advanced feature, don't use it if you don't know what you are doing. The engine does a great job managing the memory, but in rare cases some control is needed.

• Well it depends on if the "console" is made to allow it.

• Are you thinking of something that would dump everything in memory between loading layouts?

I was under the impression that everything that would not be needed for the next layout was purged.

I'm thinking of something that is an action, so it can be triggered at the start/end or middle of layouts. As far as I'm aware, it's not purged much, if at all. Local variables have been known to show incorrect figures if the same name is used for 2 different layouts/event sheets. Someone recently mentioned that objects in previous layouts are still "active" in the debug section... though I can't confirm that.

Well it depends on if the "console" is made to allow it.

As far as I am aware, it has functions that permit the action to flush storage and request memory garbage collection, but nothing seems to happen. I can't tell if it's C2 refusing to allow that to happen, or the console just doing a half-hearted attempt.

I'm still saying that the best would be to give the developers memory loading and dumping controls with a warning that it's an advanced feature, don't use it if you don't know what you are doing. The engine does a great job managing the memory, but in rare cases some control is needed.

Yup! Construct 2 does a great job most of the time, but in cases like this, I'd love to have a little extra control. Construct 2's all about loading at the start and having the rest of the game pretty much instant. I'd like to have the ability to load on demand, and remove when not required.

• i don't think anything changed since then so I just paste it here [Request] "Unload from memory" action

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)