Request for APK Version Code

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
A simple Map Editor that where you can edit a map with restriction or totally. You can save and load the map created.
  • Hi Ashley,

Quick request

I've been trying to figure out a way to update my APK on the Google Play Console, but each time it requested I upload an APK with a different Version Code.

Took me ages to figure out what I needed to do. Trying multiple programs... with no luck.

In the end, I simply opened the config.xml file and added in this line (in bold) between the other two:

version="1.0.0.1" android-versionCode="10001" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/ns/widgets"

Took quite a bit of research to find out that I could add this in, as it's described as optional. Not sure why it isn't included by default.

My question is, is there a reason why this isn't included when we build the app? Also, is it possible to perhaps make this process a bit easier? Say including a Version Code properties section within Construct itself? Perhaps next to the Version number in the about section?

• Please file a bug an assign it to shortercode (Iain), it's all his area.

• Ashley - This is a bug??? Also, I'm afraid I don't know who / Iain is. Bug reports typically require a capx to be created and shared, but one could simply export a blank project and see the feature I'm requesting. I only see reference of shortercode on the Construct 3 Github site, while I'm talking about Construct 2.

• If you can't upload an APK without modifying config.xml, yes, it sounds like something that's not working that ought to be handled for you, i.e. a bug. We also use the bug tracker for very small feature requests anyway. Don't worry about who you assign it to, just file it and it will get looked at by the right person.

• Hi Ashley,

Quick request

I've been trying to figure out a way to update my APK on the Google Play Console, but each time it requested I upload an APK with a different Version Code.

Took me ages to figure out what I needed to do. Trying multiple programs... with no luck.

In the end, I simply opened the config.xml file and added in this line (in bold) between the other two:

version="1.0.0.1" android-versionCode="10001" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/ns/widgets"

Took quite a bit of research to find out that I could add this in, as it's described as optional. Not sure why it isn't included by default.

My question is, is there a reason why this isn't included when we build the app? Also, is it possible to perhaps make this process a bit easier? Say including a Version Code properties section within Construct itself? Perhaps next to the Version number in the about section?

have you changed version in your project before export?

if i remember well on my app C2 automatically change the parameter you changed manually if you change version on the project field.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • NN81 - The "version" in properties is different from the version code Google Play requires. You can upload one APK without issue, but the second APK requires a different Version code... as does the next one, and the next one. Editing it each and every time is a little bit annoying, as I need to keep note of the version number each time. Fine for normal games, but annoying for those with many free updates or bug fixes.

• NN81 - The "version" in properties is different from the version code Google Play requires. You can upload one APK without issue, but the second APK requires a different Version code... as does the next one, and the next one. Editing it each and every time is a little bit annoying, as I need to keep note of the version number each time. Fine for normal games, but annoying for those with many free updates or bug fixes.

this soun strange to me, look here, i have just try exporting 3 times changing version on project properties and the config.xml and .json files automatically correct version, so when you build your apk from here they are correct. or maybe we are not understanding

• NN81 - What you're referring to is the release version.

Taken from my Google Play Console in the Alpha release atm...

Release: 0.1.0.0 (This is changed by the #.#.#.# code)

Today, 15:10: Full roll-out

Supported devices: 5907

Unsupported devices: 8741

Excluded devices: 0

Manage devices

1 APK version code: 10002 (This is changed by the VersionCode... which is what Google requires.)

• And you have to change it before building apk or from google account??

• NN81 - Before building the APK. Construct doesn't export the APK. I need to then run it through PhoneGap so it'll build the signed APK, then upload that to Google... at which point it demands an updated VersionCode.

• NN81 - Before building the APK. Construct doesn't export the APK. I need to then run it through PhoneGap so it'll build the signed APK, then upload that to Google... at which point it demands an updated VersionCode.

now i remember ), the version your talking is implemented on manifest.xml file when you begin build apk, it's automatically refer from version of the config.xml that you export from C2 (on Cordova CLI)

look here

so if you use Phonegap, maybe it's a Phonegap bug, or some incompatibility? because on Cordova CLI everithing work fine

• NN81 - Never heard of CLI before. Just had a quick look online, and it looks like you need to do some coding here and there. With PhoneGap, you literally just zip your export and upload it. I would have thought PhoneGap would be capable of updating the version code, but I guess not. I can access the AndroidMenifest.xml using Android Studio to open up the APK, but that's a step I don't deem necessary. It takes seconds to open the config file and add in the line, but it'd be nice if it weren't a step at all.

My method doesn't require anything but Construct and PhoneGap's auto-sign and build site. It's so much simpler.

Just had a read of your tutorial, and I still think PhoneGap is easier, excluding the VersionCode, which I'm hoping Scirra can do something about during export. With PhoneGap, I can build Android, iOS and Windows apps all with pretty much a single click.

For me, fewer steps FTW.

• NN81 - Never heard of CLI before. Just had a quick look online, and it looks like you need to do some coding here and there. With PhoneGap, you literally just zip your export and upload it. I would have thought PhoneGap would be capable of updating the version code, but I guess not. I can access the AndroidMenifest.xml using Android Studio to open up the APK, but that's a step I don't deem necessary. It takes seconds to open the config file and add in the line, but it'd be nice if it weren't a step at all.

My method doesn't require anything but Construct and PhoneGap's auto-sign and build site. It's so much simpler.

Just had a read of your tutorial, and I still think PhoneGap is easier, excluding the VersionCode, which I'm hoping Scirra can do something about during export. With PhoneGap, I can build Android, iOS and Windows apps all with pretty much a single click.

For me, fewer steps FTW.

ok, these are tastes, and tastes are not discussed.

But regardless of the framework used to build apk, that it is Phonegap or Cocoon or Cordova or whatever else you want, i think C2 do it's part when make the correct version codeline on config.xml file. Detect the corresponding android version and integrate it on the manifest file into the apk, needed for Google Playstore, it's up to the framework and not to Construct.

for this I do not know how far it is meaning to consider it a C2 bug, because for me, for example, using Cordova CLI, everithing work fine .

• This is boring. Why are you getting involved if it's tastes? You're happy, I'm not. Let's move on.

• Not meaning to be rude, but so far I've spent 2 days explaining something to you and had to go over the same stuff way too many times before you understood. Ashley has said that if we have to go into code to get stuff to work, there's something not right.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)