"Is overlapping" no longer working with particles

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Particles support animations, collisions, effects and etc.
  • Hello!

I'm having an issue which I believe has something to do with the new stable release. I've been working on a game for a few months, and hadn't touched it since december. This week I started working on it again and suddenly realized something no longer worked - and it not only stopped working on the latest version of my file, but also on all previous versions.

Basically I had enemies with the bullet behaviour, and the player had a weapon that created a "pool of acid" to slow down the enemies. This weapon spawned a bulled that, on collision with the enemies, spawned a particle.

Before I used a condition to check if the enemy was overlapping the particles, and then subtract from its bullet speed. Now it no longer works, as if Construct no longer detects collissions between sprites and particles.

I wish I could share the capx, but I'm not allowed to post urls. Anyway, the simplest version can reproduce the issue:

• create a sprite with the bullet behaviour
    • create a particle (and make sure it is on the bullet's way)
    • create an event: "Sprite is overlapping particle" --> "Set bullet speed to Sprite.Bullet.Speed-5"
    • pretty much whatever way you try to change the speed won't work, so I'm guessing the issue is with the collision detection.

I know there was an update on how the collision detection works. Were the particles taken of the system on purpose? If so, what's the best way to go around this issue?

• I don't think C2 has ever detected collisions between objects and particles. Is it possible that previously C2 triggered the event by detecting an overlap of your bullet and the particle emitter (C2 will allow a check of an object overlapping a particle in events, but you cannot check for a collisions/overlap of a particle with something else)? Someone else came on the forum a few weeks ago with a similar question IIRC. The processing overhead would be too great with any reasonable number of particles to check...

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I don't think C2 has ever detected collisions between objects and particles. Is it possible that previously C2 triggered the event by detecting an overlap of your bullet and the particle emitter (C2 will allow a check of an object overlapping a particle in events, but you cannot check for a collisions/overlap of a particle with something else)? Someone else came on the forum a few weeks ago with a similar question IIRC. The processing overhead would be too great with any reasonable number of particles to check...

Yes, I don't think the "on collision" condition ever worked with particles, but the "is overlapping" did worked. The number of particles on my game was small, so it actually worked pretty well. Yet now it no longer works. It's annoying, because my game was nearly ready and suddenly I'll have to go and look over a large portion of the events.

• I am having the same issue with 'is overlapping' and particles not being detected in the latest release... although I haven't updated in about 3 months. Can you open a bug case for this issue?

• I ended up using an invisible sprite spawned with the particles to solve the issue. It seemed like a small price to pay for the performance improvement.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)