My project won't load reliably. Any suggestions?

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
With this template you can create your own archer game and customize it however you want.
  • I didn't put this in the bug forum because I think it's an issue with my work computer, or some software that is running in the background. I've been working on a game prototype using Construct 2 and I've been having issues reliably loading my project files:

1. The .capx only opens about 1/3 of the time. The other times it just loads forever and then says "Not Responding". I exit and try again until it finally loads.

2. Unfortunately, version 8 of my project -- which has all my work from yesterday -- won't load at all in Construct 2. (Though it loaded and ran perfectly when I tried to launch it in Construct 3, the trial version.)

3. I am using a .capx file. I tried unzipping the files and running the .caproj but that didn't work either.

4. On a possibly related note, I have a pretty beefy computer here at work but C2 is slow to load. When I click the icon in the task bar (Windows 10) nothing happens for four or five seconds and then the editor pops up. At home the load is almost instant. That, again, tells me that there might be some software validating the .exe or something...

Has anyone else reported loading issues like this? Anti-virus software incompatibility maybe? Does anyone have any suggestions? I have work to do and I'm stymied.

Thanks.

• Have you tried to re-install C2 on your PC at work? Maybe something corrupted it? What Anti-virus do you use? Some of them can be pretty rough in terms of sustaining the system clean of viruses (What I mean is that they just are generally bad and can screw up things easily ).

• Version 7 of my project loaded earlier today, after a couple of tries, so on a whim I tried to load version 7 and THEN version 8. For whatever reason, this worked. So I'm back in business for now.

I'll try re-installing C2 and I'll check with the IT guys to see what kind of software is running in the background on this computer.

Thanks for the reply.

• When it fails to load, are there any error messages? Any messages in the windows logs?

How big is your project? Have you got thousands of images?

Have you got lots of Layouts / Event sheets open at the same time?

Under 'File/Preferences/ Misc/Other' have you changed the 'icon' mode?

Final suggestion - let users here try to load your project and report back to you.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • <<When it fails to load, are there any error messages? Any messages in the windows logs?>>

C2 doesn't give me any errors. It just loads forever. I can click on the red "X" and that is generating "application hang" errors in my Windows log. But I'm not seeing any useful information in there.

<<How big is your project? Have you got thousands of images?>>

The project is fairly small. 45 events. 20 sprites (with only a few animation frames in some of them). My "frame" image is 1280 x 780 but it seems to work fine at home on a lesser computer.

<<Have you got lots of Layouts / Event sheets open at the same time?>>

Nope, only two layouts and one event sheet.

<<Under 'File/Preferences/ Misc/Other' have you changed the 'icon' mode?>>

I've never touched that. Is there something in there I *should* change?

<<Final suggestion - let users here try to load your project and report back to you.>>

My project loads just fine in Construct 3, so I don't think the issue is there. I'll try loading some other projects and see if those have problems as well.

Thanks a lot for your help!

• There was another post about C2 running really slow:

Surprisingly, all people who reported this have really good computers (top i7 cpu, many Gb of RAM, fast SSD etc.)

I run C2 on two fairly old laptops with much lower specs and don't have any such issues .

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)