Project with almost nothing inside has 40 mb after export!

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
From the Asset Store
40 high-quality characters. This asset is perfect for a side scrolling game, or even a turn based RPG type game.
  • WTF!? Controler Key Codes is a whole project. There is almost nothing in there. You can see in the image. Yet after exporting it is 40mb!! Why?!

• If you exported with Node-Webkit that is easy to explain:

Node-Webkit is basically the whole Webkit engine + Node.JS in modified form.

Therefor, it also almost has the same size as Webkit + Node.JS.

So short explanation: it isn't your app/game that is 40mb, but it is the .EXE from node-webkit (+DLL's) that are/is that big.

If you talk about another export option im sorry.

• Conti
  • Yeah, that's node webkit. thanks for info!

• too much overhead in mb that's the curse of html5

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • bjadams that may be true, if you want an export for windows

without as much overhead/functionalities or good performance you are alway free to try to use alternatives like this one:

https://code.google.com/p/phpdesktop/

I wouldn't say it's a curse, of course, the SDL for example is really minimal in it's size compared to NW,

but the more functionalities/freedom with the easiest difficulty you want, you have to pay the price in it' size.

Not everything can be perfect, but in general, it's still a long way to go for HTML5,

you can expect some awesome things i think in the coming years looking at the speed of development of new things for it now and then.

Especially considerating the big companies are beginning to use it more and more.

• Conti
  • All i see for the coming years is the move away from desktop to phones and tablets. Node-Webkit is a pretty poor excuse for a proper executable on the PC. Its a real shame but i dont see anyone having much inclination to provide other, better options.

As for a 40mb file on a PC. So what. Doesnt affect the PC at all.

• All i see for the coming years is the move away from desktop to phones and tablets. Node-Webkit is a pretty poor excuse for a proper executable on the PC. Its a real shame but i dont see anyone having much inclination to provide other, better options.

As for a 40mb file on a PC. So what. Doesnt affect the PC at all.

40mb not a big deal, but was surprised, and also it was going to be sent to someone.

• C2 uses a whole blown version of NodeWebkit. It is possible to do custom builds that only use features you need. But C2 doesn't do custom compile for NodeWebkit. Instead C2 just uses it as an EXE pacakge and all the resources are in zip file/folder.

• If you don't want the overhead of node-webkit, remember you can always publish to the web and the user can play it with whichever browser they happen to have installed already.

• Ashley

i hope Scirra have own application for exporting to .exe ,did you know Game Maker ? they have all of they want,android,ios,windows 8 and other,but its hard to make a game using that application.

that's why,i'm waiting with C2 exporting to .exe with smaller file size

• A proper .dmg export would be way more helpful, cause of Safari´s weak performance! People on Windows machines can always play on the web, but dude´s with Macs and Safari as standard browser often complain about big lacks!

• they won't EVER make an exe exporter with smaller filesize. C2 will ALWAYS be an HTML5 tool, and will use 3rd party wrappers to create exes

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)