Private Deployments

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
  • I'm not interested in selling games, so I'm not concerned about Google Store (Play), Apple Store, Microsoft Store, or any other public deployment methods. But what I am interested in is creating small games and/or interactive vignettes for friends and family only. They'd be chock full of political incorrectness, private family jokes, family insults, etc... I'd like them to experience these creations on the platform of their choice, whether it be in a browser, on an Android device, and Apple device, ChromeBook, etc...

My question is then, is this possible? And could anyone give some guidance on how I would go about accomplishing this? Again, it'd be strictly for personal usage and enjoyment of a select group of friends and family. But on their platform of choice.

• Yes, btw it has a nice learning curve :)

welcome!

the install has lots of templates (File:New)

• Perhaps I wasn't entirely clear, I'm not asking how to create a game, but how to make it available via the different platforms (not through a web browser) natively but without submitting to an online provider like the Google or Apple stores, etc. How can I export it to the different native formats or get it to the people for their specific platforms without going to an online marketplace?

• You'd need the ability to side load apps onto whatever devices you're targeting, which is something most consumer devices don't allow out of the box.

Honestly, the simplest method is to place your games in the various marketplaces. I know you don't want to do that, but app stores usually allow you to keep apps private such that you need a direct link to its page to download it.

The obvious downside to this method is that your apps might not pass certification due to content, and there are fees that present themselves for publishing on certain stores(iOS, not sure about others). Not ideal, but unless there are other methods I'm not aware of, this might be the best you're gonna get.

• Your best bet is to publish games via your own website. You can get a cheap bluehost setup and install wordpress. Put your games in there and make the website private and give out password to friends and family. They can then browse website via ipad, phone, desktop web browser and access your creations.

That is the easiest option, unless someone can come up with something else?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Your best bet is to publish games via your own website. You can get a cheap bluehost setup and install wordpress. Put your games in there and make the website private and give out password to friends and family. They can then browse website via ipad, phone, desktop web browser and access your creations.

That is the easiest option, unless someone can come up with something else?Yes, export as HTML5 and mail them the link.

• In doing so, isn't there a dramatic drop in FPS? Which is why it's recommended to compile it into the native format for the specific device?

• Not really. Native languages are still interpreted languages, just like javascript.

Most bottlenecks come from poorly executed code, and from the gpu, or lack there of.

While its true that some platforms lack accelerated graphics on the browser, often or not those platforms require you to use the public deployment methods.

The time may come at some point where Construct can export to native, but you can be fairly sure that that would still be via third party first, and the native platforms would always require their methods.

• Thanx everyone, I suppose I'll stick with the HTML5 export option for now then.

• Just use the CocoonJS launcher. Your app won't get it's own icon, but you get the performance benefit and at least they are all selectable in a list.

• When using Ludei Cloud Compiling, you get a signed debug android apk that can be installed. It's good enough for your needs. Apple allows installing only through their app store to my knowledge.

As for other devices, I'm not sure.

Depending on the type of your game, you can get a decent enough framerate using the devices browsers, especially on devices with good browsers like BB devices.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)