Previewing large projects

0 favourites
  • Does anyone have problems with previewing large projects?

I am getting a red bar on chrome, nw and ie, if i remove a few animations it works fine.

At first i was able to get around this by refreshing (F5) while loading a few times, now even that doesn't work.

After exporting, the project runs fine, project size is 360mb and will be much bigger later on.

I am also getting a bunch of

Error loading image 'http://localhost:50000/actor_sternhart-walk7-000.png': Eventbubbles: falsecancelBubble: falsecancelable: falsecurrentTarget: nulldefaultPrevented: falseeventPhase: 0path: Array[1]returnValue: truesrcElement: nulltarget: nulltimeStamp: 1430579124681type: "error"__proto__: Eventimg_.onerror preview.js:1594

In the console.

• Ashley

I believe this is caused by the amount of files in my project, there are many animation frames, the whole project is currently 7200 files, but that's only when previewing, after exporting into sprite sheets it goes down to 500, i doubt i'll go over a thousand files after sprite sheeting for the whole project.

But this makes it impossible for me to continue working on the project, exporting each time for testing is not an option, i am open to any other suggestion!..?

Maybe disable loading of files in other layouts i am not currently using or adding sprite sheeting to preview (created once images are update and not on every preview).

Really anything that will help me continue working will be most appreciated!

• What kind of game ?

Huge animation frames definitely will slow your game.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It's a point and click adventure game, designed for PC and the performance is great, you can see it on our video blog here:

http://indiana-jones-and-the-fate-of-at ... ition.com/

• I hate to derail the thread but it looks like you're committing some serious copyright infringement. Probably not a good idea to put a lot of effort in a game like this unless you're *sure* you'll get the rights.

• Disney is aware of our project, but it's not approved yet, we're making a demo and sending it to them, it can go either way and we might be working for nothing, but we do this out of love for the game so we don't mind.

I am actually working on another original point and click adventure based on the same project structure, so either way i would run into this again.

• It's nice to see more big C2 projects! Congrats on pushing its limits.

Regarding your issue, some of us have the same problem with node webkit. (red loading bar on random ressources if there is more more than around +400 files).

https://github.com/nwjs/nw.js/issues/33 ... t-88213231

I never had the same issue on chrome preview, but you seem to use way more ressources than everyone here.

it would be interesting to know if it's C2 or chromium related. Would you be keen to send your project to Ashley ?

• It happens on IE too, so it's defiantly not chrome related, on the other hand it's not necessarily a C2 issue, but i believe it can be addressed and overcome in C2, with resource management.

I think it might be caused by too many simultaneously ajax request, or just a too large total number of resources.

I wouldn't mind making a capx for Ashely to test on, but this can be easily reproduced by just adding lots of animations and frames, it also happens when i strip down the project of all the events/behaviors/effects and leave just the sprite objects.

• The Windows OS itself has a limit that each process can only load about 10,000 objects. Each image file counts as one. In my research all I could find was a blog post by a Microsoft engineer saying "10,000 should be enough for anyone"

We did not know about this before making C2, so it is very difficult to do anything about it. The only workaround is to move spritesheeting in to the editor instead of only upon exporting, but this is an architectural change which I think we will only be able to take in to account for C3. Alternatively all you can do is refactor your project to use fewer images, or rely on a slower export-to-preview cycle. I must say 7000+ is an extraordinary amount of images and usually this means you're doing something incredibly inefficient, like making 50 variations of a 100-frame animation, each with small changes. That is usually unnecessary and you can find another way to get the same result without thousands of frames.

• In my research all I could find was a blog post by a Microsoft engineer saying "10,000 should be enough for anyone"

Wow. "64 kilobytes of system memory should be enough for anyone" - Bill Gates in the 80's. MS does not learn

We did not know about this before making C2, so it is very difficult to do anything about it. The only workaround is to move spritesheeting in to the editor instead of only upon exporting, but this is an architectural change which I think we will only be able to take in to account for C3.

That would make me very happy.

• Ashely I see, I don't have many variations, but i do have a lot of characters with a large amount of unique animations.

What about other solutions, such as a check box for objects or animations that blocks it from being loaded when previewing?

I work layout by layout, so many characters and animation are not needed globally.

Or maybe another folder in the project where you can move some objects there and they will not get loaded.

• have you tried reducing some the images in animations by replacing the ones you can with Spriter objects

• volkiller730 I use Spriter for more basic 2D animations, but most of the animations in my game are pre-rendered 3D and are very complex, it's impossible getting these results with Spriter.

Anyways my problem is just with previewing, because after exporting I am down to 500 files which is reasonable and I don't have performance issues.

• My solution: USE FIREFOX!!! Oh and also make sure you got a fast CPU for crunching images for previewing. It can become a huge bottleneck in the long run otherwise.

• 2 things.

Have C2 running on a solid state drive, and more ram. 16gig in total should be fine.

As for CPU (and muliple cores) don't think it make a difference with c2 preview per say, I think it only uses 1 core anyways (i speak under correction) but since I installed a solid state drive I've noticed a 10X performance boost, and that is with all my programs.

sidenote:

I hope this goes all the way. I'll be first inline to buy it

This was my favorite game of all time growing up. Still have a copy or two floating around.

AND

YOU Guys have seriously outdone yourselves. It looks fabulous. and yes signed the petition.

Need testers? Need a coffee. Shout

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)