Preview and export glitch, does not appear in debugger

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Tweakable and easy to use effects for your projects.
  • Hey all,

So I've been working away and found a problem that doesn't happen in the debugger, making it somewhat impossible to debug. The really confusing thing is it works perfect in debug mode, so I can't see how it could be an eventing issue!

So here are two images:

As you can see in the second image, the name and gauges never appear for the first character. Does anyone have any idea how the debug version could be working differently to regular preview and exported versions? Maybe there is some loading timer issue?

• As you said, it might be some loader issue.

I had some issues before, and now I usually tend to run some events after the layout start, and for some more heavy ones I split them in to stages controlled by a variable, in case there would be some bug that would trigger some events ahead of the time. Once that's done, I'll just fade out a layer above the actual game layers, with some background set.

• Does it happen in all browsers and node preview? I would also try and clear out the browser's cache, just in case...

Having said that, I have seen only a couple of examples of this myself over the last year - all weird z axis problems that I couldn't figure out. After a frustrated attempt to fix by other means I just resorted to forcing the z order of the objects in question every tick to ensure that they were drawn in the right place...

• megatronx - yeah, I tried stuffing about with the timing since then, wait X, wait for signal, etc. and haven't managed to change things.

Colludium - Yep, happens in all browsers, on html5 export and node webkit preview. Also just tried your advice and cleared cache to no avail. I have it setup so when the marker has a boolean of 'notSet' to true, it will create all that stuff and the set the boolean to false. So, it should definitely be triggering (and it is on debug).

Well thanks guys, but I'm really at a loss now and will just have to try re-writing it in a different way I guess. Let's hope the new version will go a bit smoother.

• Since it doesn't happen in debug, try adding a debug text of your own to the HUD to show the number of / position of and z layer of that object group. It might be being drawn but underneath the backdrop...

• Colludium - Ha, I've become so spoilt by the debugger I forgot how to do things the old way! I tried it, and it shows that it is in fact not being created at all.

I did find, however, that adding a really long wait fixed the problem, but that was 10 seconds which is much longer than it needs to be! So I'll keep ploding along, but I would really love to hear from Ashley why this could be as well.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • megatronx - yeah, I tried stuffing about with the timing since then, wait X, wait for signal, etc. and haven't managed to change things.

Colludium - Yep, happens in all browsers, on html5 export and node webkit preview. Also just tried your advice and cleared cache to no avail. I have it setup so when the marker has a boolean of 'notSet' to true, it will create all that stuff and the set the boolean to false. So, it should definitely be triggering (and it is on debug).

Well thanks guys, but I'm really at a loss now and will just have to try re-writing it in a different way I guess. Let's hope the new version will go a bit smoother.

No, don't use wait. Wait in events that only run for one tick like on start and functions don't work. Use variable.

• megatronx - I'm not sure what you mean? I've used 'wait' in start of layout and function events before with no problem. However In the last version where it waits 10 seconds, it is in fact filling a variable every tick, and the conditions checks to see the value of the variable (it never ran of a trigger condition though).

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)