Is it possible?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
  • Hiya

Can you please tell me at a very high level if c2 can do the following (I don't need a "how" I just need to shortlist which technologies I can use)

* Tilemaps of a very large size e.g. 10,000x10,000 tiles

* Object persistence on a map this size

* Render only current viewport instead of having a massive canvas to fit the entire tilemap

* Perlin noise or some equivalent

* 4 Player multiplayer

* Steamworks Support / achievements

• yeah pretty much..i dont see any reason why it cant

in short your answer in points

Large Tile maps YES

ive done games with more than 2000 unique sprites much larger than tiles some of which are full screen backdrops ..main menus with pages of bonus features with dynamic music and sound systems, multiple layers of parallax scrolling , saving and loading, Terraria like digging based on a very large series of overlapping Arrays etc etc

it just depends on how good you are at coding and planning out your game in an OPtimised process

Object Persistance YES

Terraria like maps of Thousands of tiles all stored in Arrays..but Construct 2 has a built in save feature that saves all data whenever you like..

Current View points YES....simple as..construct 2 only renders what is needed in sync with all plugins and Scrollto behaviors etc

Perlin noise...C2 has so many web gl effects its not funny....in the past I used to

make my own noise overlays until the WEBGL became standard...so dont worry you are rocking

4 player multiplayer...yep ..check out the features list or the MANUAL...its pretty epic

Steamworks support....achievments...this is a feature you have to code in yourself ..just like any other playtform

its not that hard if you know how to do it..there isnt really shortcuts to doing it right

dont worry

C2 is very robust...it can handle every project ive worked on ...some are EPIC in size and scope

but it always comes down to how well you understand the system and how to properly organise your data and program systems and sequences...

C2 can handle it...

if you can program it...

C2 can run it

its just code

• However, the large tilemap size will be a limitation I think, since I think it is one unique texture loaded, it cannot go over what the system has (not sure though)

The viewport is actually the only thing rendered I think, although you will have to remember that a non rendered object still exists

Not sure what you mean by object persistance

• From my c2 experiences so far, there is no coding. Are you saying there's a way to get under the hood?

I'm already a programmer, so if I knew how to make c2 run against custom code I'd be a happy bunny.

Basically I've started writing a game in XNA (again) but if c2 can do it all, I'll probably jump.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • C2 to offers the SDK kit which will let you program plugins.

To your request. You can have a game world be 10k by 10k tiles.

You can do everything in your list. However there are a few caveats.

There are two directions to multiplayer.

WebSocket. Which you need to write your own server. But works pretty much everywhere.

WebRTC MP plugin. Which will work on PC/Android. You can use C2 to makes servers. But doesn't work on IOS right now. But there is a PhoneGap WebRTC plugin coming.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)