Performance safari

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • I made a small test game with moving animations.

In google chrome works this well, but in safari is this very jerky.

Is there a possibility to improve this?

Robin

• Here my project files: 4shared.com/folder/eM8nLYUM/_online.html

• Have you read Performance Tips?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hi Guys, I did a bit of quick reading, and it turns out that Safari doesn't have WebGL turned on by default. Also you can only do this on Macs (under the developer menu) - PC Safari doesn't allow you to change this option. I'm going to find someone with a Mac to see if having WebGL turned on will fix performance issues.

I also noticed the horrible performance of C2 games on Safari PC, but then I noticed when I browsed to other free HTML5 games on the internet, that they wouldn't even open. One of them even popped up with a message suggesting that I only use Firefox or Chrome.

Has anyone tried playing the games on Mac Safari with WebGL turned on?

• EyeHawk are you using the latest version of Safari? (5.1 I believe) The newer versions are a lot faster.

• Hey Ashley, yeah I downloaded the most recent release (v5.1.7). It's not a problem to me though, as from looking at various stats Safari Users account for around 5% of all users globally (Mostly Mac). On top of that Mac/Safari Users can turn on WebGL, which I'm guessing will solve the problem. That just leaves PC/Safari Users in the dark, but then they are an even more minuscule group (probably less then 1%).

On the other hand, I tested out a C2 game quickly with the most popular browsers IE9, Chrome, & Firefox and all of them play beautifully, so I think our most important bases are well covered.

• Hmm, I would doubt Safari users in general would know to turn webGL on... Surely if they knew that, they would already be sing a more superior browser!

• If a browser does not enable WebGL by default, I personally consider it to not support WebGL. In practice, 99% of general users won't play with developer settings to get a game to run a little faster.

• Hey Ashley, yeah I downloaded the most recent release (v5.1.7). It's not a problem to me though, as from looking at various stats Safari Users account for around 5% of all users globally (Mostly Mac). On top of that Mac/Safari Users can turn on WebGL, which I'm guessing will solve the problem. That just leaves PC/Safari Users in the dark, but then they are an even more minuscule group (probably less then 1%).

On the other hand, I tested out a C2 game quickly with the most popular browsers IE9, Chrome, & Firefox and all of them play beautifully, so I think our most important bases are well covered.

Interesting statement. IE9, Chrome, and Firefox are the big three, but IE9 doesn't support WebGL and probably never will. I test everything I do on Chrome, Firefox, IE9 (and sometime 10), Opera, and Safari. All these are on Windows. Safari consistently crashes or doesn't do something I want more than all the others combined.

Honestly, I think Safari on Windows probably gets the least attention of everyone in Apple-land. They just don't care about Windows.

I suspect most HTML5 game players are pretty happy with Chrome or Firefox. But Safari on Windows seems like a sad neglected step-child. Even Opera fares better.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)