Performance relating to machine running cs2

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • I have been busy with a RTS engine for space games and its working very well.

During some tests and trials with multiple computers I ran into this this strange oddity which I accidentally discovered only effects the machine running the construct 2 application.

Example/info:

I tend to start the host when I launch the previewer from the construct 2 app.

I was testing the host CPU usage, when 2 players had each roughly 15 vessels ....

The peer was/is on another computer in the same network.

The host runs smooth, up until the peer connects and then it somewhat seemed like ~30-40% more CPU usage then the peer.

Which annoys me, as I have designed my engine to distribute the load between peers and host.

I had expected the host and peer to run with about the same CPU %, which it didn't.

After some pointless tweaking and restarting the previewer I accidentally made the other computer in the network the host, making the computer having the construct 2 app, become peer.

Surprise surprise .... the peer (computer with construct 2 running on it) suddenly had the ~30-40% more CPU usage then anticipated, and the Host on the other system, ran with the low CPU usage, which I was expecting in the first place.

Sooooooo ......

I hooked up another system in my network, and started a game between 2 computers in the network, not including the computer running the construct 2 application.

And wow ... the game ran smooth as can be ... both systems low CPU usage .... as expected ....

But now my questions is, why is this ? how come the system running the Construct 2 application adds to the CPU usage ?

Perhaps I am overseeing something obvious ...

TLDR;

A system running the construct 2 application, adds quite a bit of CPU % usage to the CPU usage indicator in the debugger.

At least where multiplayer is involved and a peer connected.

Why ?

• Lol, haven't a clue, but possibly because preview is a premium feature, it might have multiple processes running in background???

• Lol, haven't a clue, but possibly because preview is a premium feature, it might have multiple processes running in background???

The only thing I can even remotely think of is that the previewing browser sends a lot of calls back to the http server. Perhaps this communication stream is interfering when the multiplayer plugin is in play.

Ashley, Any ideas ?

• No idea, your best bet would be to run the profiler in Chrome's dev tools and see where JS time is being spent.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Are you checking cpu usage with debug/profiler or using the cpuutilization text?

• Are you checking cpu usage with debug/profiler or using the cpuutilization text?

That should not matter, as it only occurs on the machine running construct.

I will do some JS browser tests later on.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)