Performance questions

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • From scirra.com/manual/134/performance-tips and scirra.com/blog/83/optimisation-dont-waste-your-time

Game is freezing on some PCs for 1-2 seconds at a time (not a slow down of framerate, everything just stops for a second or two). Does this mean it's a processing/logic issue rather than a draw issue?

Object count affecting performance - does type of object matter here? For example, if I have dialogue or room layouts that are read into a 300+ separate arrays during initialization, does it matter at all?

Sound - is positional sound computationally expensive? [order of magnitude vs. normal sound?] What about 'stop all'? Wondering about sound optimization in general as one of the test computers cannot actually play the game unless sound is disabled. This is all via node webkit.

Thanks in advance!

• Try the new profiler in r142 - it should help identify what is causing the long pauses. Note there was a bug in r141 which could cause poor performance in Chrome, so you should upgrade to r142 anyway if you're using that.

The object count's effect on performance depends entirely on what exactly you're doing. The best thing to do is keep an eye on things with the new profiler and see if anything's turning in to a CPU hog.

Sound is probably processed in parallel in a separate core, so is unlikely to affect the framerate.

• Ashley Yikes.. so going from v141 to v142 the node webkit .exe takes roughly double the amount of memory in task manager (from 200mb to 400mb). Do you know why that might be? I don't think anything else changed although now I've saved over my file like an idiot and am not sure if I can revert to the previous Construct version..

Debugger memory usage appears to be the same (50-60mb in images). The new profiler tool is really awesome btw! Wish I could see what draw calls are occuring because it takes up nearly 20% CPU when nothing on the screen is moving.. that seems wrong right? I have bad code that is telling the game to redraw something it doesn't need to draw?

Thanks so much for your help. ^^

• Did anyone else see their memory usage bloat with node webkit's exe after moving from r141 to r142? I've reverted to a previous build since the memory usage increase was persistent and significant across the few computers I tested on.

• Bump to the top with another performance question.. hard for me to test these things personally because my computers still function okay with the game.

Has anyone else seen a spike in RAM usage with the new Construct version when exporting to node webkit?

Also for collision detection, does checking distance before the collision detection help or does that add even more computational strain? (e.g., 50 bullets flying around.. turn off collision for things that are: distance(bullet.x,bullet.y,player.x,player.y)>200?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Agni file a bug

• I feel 143 is too buggy :(

• I cant debug on mobile and my game hangs up for several seconds after you click play and gameplay starts. It works fine for 5 seconds or so, then there is 5 second pause and gameplay resumes normally. Its terribly hurting game quality.

m.blackmoondev.com/rrh

Compiled with 139

• Can mobile web performance be looked into?

I wouldnt mind sending Scirra employes zip file with game so they could look whats going on and why iphone/ipad have terrible performance.

Just give me email where it would be apriorate.

• I was doing some different tests as well. On Windows 7, via Chrome and Node Webkit, the game runs great (using C2 143). On Windows 8, via Chrome and Node Webkit, it runs like a dog. Horrible horrible lag. A difference of 30 frames per second between the two.

• PKrawczynski

You'll have to be very picky for mobile performance. Usually for mobile games optimization is a huge part of it. Have you been checking your memory use on the C2 editor? It should give you a general id of the amount of memory your game wastes when running.

• PKrawczynski

You'll have to be very picky for mobile performance. Usually for mobile games optimization is a huge part of it. Have you been checking your memory use on the C2 editor? It should give you a general id of the amount of memory your game wastes when running.

Im aware but problem is that no matter what player does, game hangs up after few seconds for a bit like from 2 to 5 seconds. He can even be in main menu screen and it can hang up!

we cant say its because 1 image and 2 sprites are too heavy for iphone can we?

• Can mobile web performance be looked into?

I wouldnt mind sending Scirra employes zip file with game so they could look whats going on and why iphone/ipad have terrible performance.

Just give me email where it would be apriorate.

+1

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)