NW.js v0.12.0 (Chromium 41) 5th March, Discussion

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Set of 12 Parallax Background to make pixel art game.
  • Gianmichele The documentation makes me none the wiser. Even video tutorials seems to require lots of programming knowledge. Is there any construct 2 friendly way to implement this?

ErekT I've reached out to him several times throughout development. I've tried to look at it from every angle, and it keeps coming back to that the jank is the product of something out of my control. The only system expression or object, or anything else in the layouts which doesn't get reset on a very regular basis is the "time" system expression. Through exploiting time scale I tried cranking it up to a value equalavent of me playing the game for something like 5 hours straight. No jank. Also the fact that the jank stopped when I went back to 10.5 doesn't help the case that it's somehow my fault. When I make an empty canvas and boot up the game, something is seriously wrong when the memory use is 1.5 gb.

I really wish I was in control over the performance of my own game...

tomsstudio Won't matter if it can't run on the thing. No I don't use spriter. If you look closely at the animations in the trailer you'll see how the characters goes inwards and outwards, sometimes even rotating 360 degress inwards. One can't practically achieve this effect in spine or spriter due to the fact that you're only animating in 2 axis. Since my goal was to achieve super dynamic looking animations, skeleton based animation tools simply doesn't do the job.

• anyone tried replacing nw's DLL's with version 12.3? improvements?

• saiyadjin Yes I just tried and it works practically the same. No improvements.

• I tried exporting a build with it. The jankyness seemed gone, but back was the horrible memory management. The memory use grew bigger and bigger until it eventually crashed (At worst the collective memory use between all the processes was 4gb, LIKE WTF). At least something got better with the latest editions.

I think we discussed this awhile ago, it's probably due to your game having so much music/sounds and the lack of "unload" action to remove sounds from memory.

Since your game is about music/sounds, this is the one case where C2 needs to have an Unload option to go along with the Preload action, to allow developers more control.

• Tinimations To make sure it's your loaded sound effects --which probably effect GB-- could you test with lower quality sfx? (sounds that are loaded into the Sounds folder)

What about streaming some sfx (importing into the Music folder) is the response just too late?

• NW.js v0.13.0 went to alpha 4 today and is now updated to Chromium 45! I'm really eager to test it when Ashley will adapt it to work with C2 (as it doesn't, since something changed in 0.13 and broke compatibility with C2).

https://github.com/nwjs/nw.js

• "v0.13.0-alpha4: (Jun 23, 2015..." - how is that today exaclty?

• "v0.13.0-alpha4: (Jun 23, 2015..." - how is that today exaclty?

alpha 4 (which updates 0.13 to chromium 45) was released today yes. That is just the time alpha 0 was release.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • v0.13.0-alpha4 not work here

• & jobel I tried deleting all audio in the entire game. It only makes 2-300mb of difference. The game still takes 2gb of ram at almost any given time. I get the impression that the browser's running the game loads in every asset in the entire game on startup. It's the only plausable explanation I can think of in regards to the memory use. An empty canvas layout takes about 1.5 gb of ram...

• Tinimations are you using one layout for all your levels? if you start the layout and delete a bunch of objects that you potentially never use, maybe they should be on a dummy layout.. that way you never load anything except what you are using..

everything in the Layout view is loaded into memory and never released on a given layout. It's only released when you go to a new layout.

• When I make an empty canvas and boot up the game, something is seriously wrong when the memory use is 1.5 gb.

what do mean by empty canvas? do mean a brand new project with nothing in it? or your game template with nothing happening?

• jobel An empty layout in the game without any art, sound or events. One of NW.js processes uses minimal ram here, but there's always one process (which I guess is cache) uses roughly 1.5 gb even in an empty layout.

• An empty layout in the game without any art, sound or events. One of NW.js processes uses minimal ram here, but there's always one process (which I guess is cache) uses roughly 1.5 gb even in an empty layout.

There's two nw.exe process, the smaller one is your current game/layout.

There's a second process of nw.exe that loads all your assets as they appear in your layouts. It acts as a cache I think. The more layouts you change, or more sprites you call in, the bigger the cache becomes. Once it maxes out (loaded everything available in your game), it doesn't grow.

I'm not sure what would happen if there's not enough system ram for the cache to grow since my PCs have 12-16GB ram and my game tops out around 700mb. If yours top out at 4GB for the full game, I don't think you need to worry for PC/MAC as most low end systems have 4-8GB memory.

If I had to guess what happens when you don't have enough memory for caching, it would load from your disk, causing major stutters as big sprites with animations are called in.

Maybe Ashley can verify or explain the inner workings of this process.

• Tinimations that can't be right. My entire game has 3 processes running and doesn't equal more than 300MB

32-bit NW 10.5

EDIT: oh I see, an empty layout in *your* game....and you load that first when checking? what do you have for globals? do you use any global layers? or global objects?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)