NW.js v0.12.0 (Chromium 41) 5th March, Discussion

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Set of 12 Parallax Background to make pixel art game.
  • I am sorry to say it, but I am starting to regret I've had chosen C2 instead of Unity or GM... Yes, I've earned more then the cost of C2 and learned important procedures, but I simply can't see it as a future option.

Everything is great (the software is easy to use, the community is great, the updates are fast and fix or bring new functionality) until you get to export your game and you are disappointed that a simple 2D game can't run smooth on anything (from smartphones to medium-high PC) no matter how much you optimize them, you can't get constant 60fps for a simple 2D game.

Yes, Scirra's bet on HTML5 is the right direction, but is not there yet and will not be too soon. By the time HTML5/Javascript games will be a viable solution, other engines that already have native support will add it (already started adding it).

And instead of waiting for C3 or a miracle, i decided to start it all over with an engine that is already proven to make commercial games.

This doesn't mean that I will stop using C2. I will still use it, but only for prototyping or small projects.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • nw.js 0.13.0 will be based on chromium 43, which I heard fixes the smoothness issue.

Indeed, at least the browser does, NW 0.13 is in alpha but it doesn't work on me, i guess Ashley will need to mess with it to make it work! Can't wait, lol.

• Technology was suppose to speed things up, but in reality, now everyone is waiting for someone else to fix something that is not working because of something else that needs to be fixed and so on. For years we are in pretty much same spot wasting time. And that's a problem across all software.

• Technology did speed things up - the productivity has significantly increased. It's now possible with very limited knowledge, resources and time to create games that would have taken teams of experts years in the past. Think Super Mario on the NES ; it's now possible for a single person to create something better using modern software. Of course this example is a bit extreme and we usually want to do "more", but this in itself proves things are moving forward.

If stability is the key, focus on mature platforms and technologies ; though while this mitigates the risk of "innovation" this also adds the risk of "obsolescence"

• Technology did speed things up - the productivity has significantly increased. It's now possible with very limited knowledge, resources and time to create games that would have taken teams of experts years in the past. Think Super Mario on the NES ; it's now possible for a single person to create something better using modern software. Of course this example is a bit extreme and we usually want to do "more", but this in itself proves things are moving forward.

If stability is the key, focus on mature platforms and technologies ; though while this mitigates the risk of "innovation" this also adds the risk of "obsolescence"

I would argue that with progress of technology, everything becomes more and more loose, as less and less tight, and mario on nes is a great example, as there has yet to be a game made in c2 as tight as mario was for example . Even new smb games are not as tight as original. I played both fairly recently.

• Mario for nes was programmed by two people, and the art created by two people, music by one. There was a director and producer, but if you consider the brunt of the work, there weren't too many people working on it.

A lot of old games were created by one or two people.

• I don't feel technology is making me wasting time, on the opposite, it allowed me to create my dream game, which is a fairly large and complex project, expecially considering it is developed with C2.

• I am sorry to say it, but I am starting to regret I've had chosen C2 instead of Unity or GM... Yes, I've earned more then the cost of C2 and learned important procedures, but I simply can't see it as a future option.

Everything is great (the software is easy to use, the community is great, the updates are fast and fix or bring new functionality) until you get to export your game and you are disappointed that a simple 2D game can't run smooth on anything (from smartphones to medium-high PC) no matter how much you optimize them, you can't get constant 60fps for a simple 2D game.

I'm not sure why you would think that.

Even a low-end PC is capable of running most C2 games smoothly at 60fps.

I'm pegged at 60fps constantly in mine.

I mean there are FLAWS its not perfect, for for PC, certainly NW 10.5 and 12 are pretty smooth & fluid.

On mobiles, with iOS8 WKVWebView, it's pretty smooth too.

• This jankyness issue is bringing me to the point of madness. The game starts almost without fault to jag harder and harder the longer the playsession. I'm to submit Klang to IGF this weekend, and I know it stands no real chance in the technical department due to this issue. I'm just hoping the avarage judge quits playing out of time constraints before the jaggyness kicks in. IT REALLY SHOULDN'T BE THIS WAY. Like someone else mentioned, I'm often daydreaming what it would be like to work in GM instead...

I also see there hasn't been a new node webkit since march? When's the new edition with chromium 43+ coming out?

I'm getting desperate here... This jaggyness issue and the ridicilous memory consumption of the engine's making me fear for the game's chance on the market.

• I noticed your game uses a lot of effects. I remember someone mentioning once where a shader would become increasingly out of sync the longer the session. I'm wondering if the shaders are contributing to the jank you're experiencing?

• This jankyness issue is bringing me to the point of madness. The game starts almost without fault to jag harder and harder the longer the playsession. I'm to submit Klang to IGF this weekend, and I know it stands no real chance in the technical department due to this issue. I'm just hoping the avarage judge quits playing out of time constraints before the jaggyness kicks in. IT REALLY SHOULDN'T BE THIS WAY. Like someone else mentioned, I'm often daydreaming what it would be like to work in GM instead...

I also see there hasn't been a new node webkit since march? When's the new edition with chromium 43+ coming out?

I'm getting desperate here... This jaggyness issue and the ridicilous memory consumption of the engine's making me fear for the game's chance on the market.

You suffer stutter in NW 10.5?

• I'm getting desperate here... This jaggyness issue and the ridicilous memory consumption of the engine's making me fear for the game's chance on the market.

Sorry to hear that. It's a spectacular-looking game. Have you tried sending the project to Ashley and let him look at it? It sounds like it could be some kind of memory leak.

Your game would play really well on console...

Can i ask if you're using Spriter for animations?

• Anyone tried Electron from github as an alternative to NW.js?

Would be interesting to see a real world scenario with a game like Klang to compare the two.

http://electron.atom.io/

• > This jankyness issue is bringing me to the point of madness. The game starts almost without fault to jag harder and harder the longer the playsession. I'm to submit Klang to IGF this weekend, and I know it stands no real chance in the technical department due to this issue. I'm just hoping the avarage judge quits playing out of time constraints before the jaggyness kicks in. IT REALLY SHOULDN'T BE THIS WAY. Like someone else mentioned, I'm often daydreaming what it would be like to work in GM instead...

>

> I also see there hasn't been a new node webkit since march? When's the new edition with chromium 43+ coming out?

>

> I'm getting desperate here... This jaggyness issue and the ridicilous memory consumption of the engine's making me fear for the game's chance on the market.

>

You suffer stutter in NW 10.5?

I tried exporting a build with it. The jankyness seemed gone, but back was the horrible memory management. The memory use grew bigger and bigger until it eventually crashed (At worst the collective memory use between all the processes was 4gb, LIKE WTF). At least something got better with the latest editions.

Gianmichele I will try it. Thanks for the tip

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)