I need help calling dialogue from an XML file.

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
Create complex dialogues with ease with this tool/template!
  • I'm working on a point and click adventure game and I'm having trouble with dialogue boxes (which is a problem because it's like 90% of the game) namely progressing dialogue past the first initial line.

I've followed the tutorial of Kyatric

Subscribe to Construct videos now

/ arcade link, and it seemed easy enough to follow, except for my key problem.

What I want to happen is that when the object is clicked, the appropriate dialogue appears, and when you click anywhere on the dialogue box, you move on to the next line, until it finishes and the dialogue ends.

What actually happens is the first line plays, and nothing happens after this; I've tried to scan through the code to see if I missed anything and I've come up empty handed.

(I also tried reverse engineering it by checking through Bbenny's Dialogue Box Template code with no luck, as they use a different method)

I'd love to hear what I'm doing wrong here, or if there's anything amiss in my xml file; tutorials for dialogue in Construct 2 seem so sparse and vary greatly in implementation...

>> I'll do my best to keep the link updated. <<

Thank you for listening.

• I don't understand this dialogue system, so my solution could be wrong, but I think the problem is with event #19, it's at the wrong level.

Try moving event #19 like this:

Also, check out this dialogue example (there are working download links in comments):

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I don't understand this dialogue system

Yeah, it's kind of a mess...

Thanks for the reply, I'll check it out as soon as I can

[edit:] Wow that totally works, at least with the first two lines (I'm going to

need to examine it further to get more lines in there, but this is a great start, thanks!).

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)