Native Client Porting?

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Very simple code without excess options (15 events for server and 11 events for client)
  • Would it be possible to port Construct 2 to Native Client (it allows C/C++ ) to let it run on Chrome cross-platform? Would that be a consideration for a future release?

• No.

C2 developers are 100% betting that browers next year will be good enough that anykind of language port isn't worth it. And they are right.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7439/micr ... 2-review/4

This is the MS Surface 2 which uses the Tegra 4 a 2013 CPU. I can tell you 100% that this runs HTML games so beautifully slick that I didn't even know that this was a Tegra 4 chip.

However possible late this year is the Tegra 6/Parker chips.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/vmware ... 24643.html

I can honestly say that running games on modern devices isn't a problem using Wrappers. So there is no need for Scirra to do native ports.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • jayderyu : I think it talked about the editor itself, to have it cross platform (not only windows)

• Aphrodite

that would be cool. I would love a Linux and Mac version so that when I get a Mac I can use C2.

I guess maybe this threw me

"to let it run on Chrome cross-platform? "

is he referring to C2 running in Chrome?

• Aphrodite

that would be cool. I would love a Linux and Mac version so that when I get a Mac I can use C2.

I guess maybe this threw me

"to let it run on Chrome cross-platform? "

is he referring to C2 running in Chrome?

Yep, Native client is a technology that uses C/C++ libraries inside chrome from what I've understood, although i'm not sure off how many browsers have that, but the basic concept of C2 in browser is nice, however I think C2 doesn't use C/C++, but maybe I'm wrong

• I think c2 is actually written in C++. While I don't know the details about how easy it is to get a program ported over into native client and I assume some custom tailoring would be required, it seems like it might make it much easier to get it running on other platforms than other methods of porting (I'm far from a C++ expert though, so I might be wrong though). Only Ashley could say for certain of course.

• Honestly I like that idea a whole lot.

• From what I have seen Ashley say before, C2 heavily relies on Microsoft libraries that make porting it virtually impossible at this point. He has FAR more important things to work on right now.

• What's needed here is PNaCl, to be trully multiplatform, while NaCL won't solve binary format and alignment.

The IDE is coded in C/C++, but the problem, as said before, is the graphical widget library. That one won't be compiled and run like that on the NaCL subsystem.

• AllanR is right: our C2 codebase depends so heavily on Microsoft libraries that it would never port. We're aware of demand for the editor on other platforms and are factoring that in to our long-term plans.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)