Microsoft confirms self publishing

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Change delay, create new lines, "backspace" the text
  • This is big news. Im glad this is the case. Here is what I hope.

1. It's like the app store 99 dollars for the year

2. It's in the same marketplace as everything else. Not like XBLIG.

3. You can use 3rd party engines like C2 and unity.

gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/07/24/microsoft-to-announce-indie-self-publishing-new-certification-process.aspx

Im so excited!

• 3. You can use 3rd party engines like C2 and unity.

Are you definetly serious? Is like windows 8 app publishing?

• Is this for Windows8 or One? If it's for One, then that's great. If it's for W8. Then that's very resentful. Windows has proven it's ground on being an open application platform. Now requiring this appwall is disgusting.

it's one thing to launch as a closed platform. It's another to build the walls afterwards... sorry I don't pay much attention to Windows much anymore.

• It's for One...

I hope we can use 3rd party engines. You could only use torque for XBLIG. I wasn't going to buy a ONE because I couldn't develop for it.

• I don't see what's exciting about paying a $100 fee, most games on the app store don't even make that much total.

• Console is a whole different economy unto itself.

• 3. You can use 3rd party engines like C2 and unity.

Are you definetly serious? Is like windows 8 app publishing?

All the things listed in the original post are just things mammoth hopes, and have not yet been confirmed by Microsoft.

It's great that they're making an effort to be indie-friendly, but that doesn't necessarily translate to you or I being able to target the platform; there's a big difference between an established independent developer with a budget of $100,000/year or more, and hobbyist or small-time indie developers working on a shoe-string budget, and it wouldn't be at all surprising to find that the features discussed are for the former type of "indie" rather than the latter.

Given the popularity of XNA and the creator's club for XBox 360 it's likely they'll have something accessible to any every-day person, but we'll have to wait and see just what that might be.

I don't see what's exciting about paying a $100 fee

It would be another publishing option that's actually accessible to indie developers of almost any level. Professional development is a whole different ball-game involving the exchange of huge amounts of money, and traditionally (excepting home-brew which isn't generally commercially viable) consoles have been inaccessible to the majority of indie developers.

• I really hope that we get to be in the same market place as all of the other games. Unlike XBLIG where we had our own little store.

If you release 4 small games onto most app stores you will make 100 dollars at least.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Also I hope we get access to achievements unlike XBLIG.

• Console is a whole different economy unto itself.

Yep. It's even more difficult to earn money there than on a PC market as an indie dev. It's not better. It's worse.

Not to mention the fact that the adoption rate of xbox one is rather underwhelming now. IMHO it's far easier to get clients on platforms like Win 8 or Windows Phone.

(not to mention the upfront investment costs)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)