Memory Use, Download size in connection to Image Size

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
220 Food Sprites in 16x16 pixel size. Perfect for items for a retro style game.
  • Hi,

I have a question about the memory use and the download size in connection to the image size. I understand, that large images make more memory use and a higher download size.

My question is on which image size this is depending. Is it my source image, which i made and than open in the image editor to give it to my sprite? If I have a very large source image but I edit it in the image editor by the "resize" button, will it then also affect the download size and memory use to be smaller? Or do I have to redo the original image which I open in the image editor?

Thanks a lot for any reply! Highly appreciated.

• I'm not 100% sure on this, but it would be logical that the resize option resizes the image used by that sprite. You can easily test this: open a 3000x3000 PNG file and resize it to 300x300, then save your project. Does the capx file size reflects the 3000x3000 sized image or the resized one?

• I'm not 100% sure on this, but it would be logical that the resize option resizes the image used by that sprite. You can easily test this: open a 3000x3000 PNG file and resize it to 300x300, then save your project. Does the capx file size reflects the 3000x3000 sized image or the resized one?

. Allthoug I didnt test with saving the capx but the showed appr memory use at the bottom hitns that it really is depending on the image of the image editor and not of the original source file. So you are right.

• The source image is not a part of the project. Once you load it into your project, C2 makes a copy of that source image. Resizing it with the built-in image editor will update the image (in project, not the source) so also will affect the download size and memory usage.

If you would for instance resize the source file (in external editor), nothing would happen in the project itself.

Note that resizing the sprite object won't have such effect as this will resize only the object, not the image.

• See memory usage in the manual.

In short, the source image dimensions determines the memory usage (i.e. number of pixels). However the download size depends more on the content of the image itself - e.g. a solid red image will compress to almost nothing, but a detailed image will take more data.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • thanks for the replys. Best community!!!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)