Memory and size

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
220 Food Sprites in 16x16 pixel size. Perfect for items for a retro style game.
  • Hi everyone, I'm here because I'd have a quick little question. I have a little prototype right now, 4 unfinished stages. They mainly rely on a physic engine. The project is already around 25 mb of global memory usage (around 28 while playing any level). Is this alarming or relatively normal for something with only 4 levels and aiming to have around 25 ?

Also, most of my sprites are all between, say, 100x200 and 200x500 px. There're a lot of sprites, each big chunks of the scenery also has its own normal map above it, so I can set a dynamic lightning.

It's still time to make things a little tinier, but should I ? I don't want to end up with 18 environments way too hungry for memory. Thank you all

Tagged:

• The project is already around 25 mb of global memory usage (around 28 while playing any level). Is this alarming or relatively normal for something with only 4 levels and aiming to have around 25 ?

Given most devices have at least 1GB of memory, this is less than 3% usage, which is tiny and absolutely nothing to worry about.

• A clear and reassuring answer. Thanks Ashley

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • As somebody who has run into these memory problems on just about every single game recently, I could chime in.

25 MB is nothing to worry about. I even have a game around 400MB ( in RAM ) that works on iPhones with 1GB of memory, but that is cutting it close. Had problems before adjusting a few things.

Weirdly a couple of other games ran into problems when exported using Construct 3 ( both using runtime 2 and 3 ) even though they were between 100 MB and 250 MB. Changing the background image from 2500 x 1200 to 2048 x 1080 fixed it, but anything under 4096 x 4096 should not be causing problems. There were problems even on Galaxy S6 which has 3GB of memory.

If you are only using Construct 2 and keeping it under 200-300MB seems things should work on most phones.

If using Construct 3 exporter thing seem a little unpredictable. Have no idea if that is because it's a Construct 2 project exported via version 3 that is causing problems, or simply Construct 3's spritesheeting which works differently.

• BadMario Thanks for the advices and insights, I'll keep those in mind. Also, it was once a again a pretty reassuring answer, which allows me to keep working on my little tricolour proto thing peacefully.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)