My mate can't open project's project files

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
With this template you can create your own archer game and customize it however you want.
  • Hello,

I have an issue. I have a game project with text project files. The game project is saved as single file, but my mate can't open the project files to edit. Any idea why it might be? Thanks

• Warnings? Maybe he using free version and you have over 100 events? Maybe you changed file permissions to read only, couple of things. Could even be his antivirus/system not wanting to open capx file.

Of course, maybe the file is corrupted too? Need more info like what error message he gets etc

• Does he have the same or a newer version of C2 installed (if it is older, you can't open the project).
    • Do you use any 3rd Party Plugins? Those are not in the capx file bundled, so he needs to download and install the required plugins too

EDIT:

just realised that I might have misunderstood your problem

Do the textfiles end with .txt? If it is something else, does your mate have that extension assigned to any editor that the system know which program to use to open that file?

• - Does he have the same or a newer version of C2 installed (if it is older, you can't open the project).

- Do you use any 3rd Party Plugins? Those are not in the capx file bundled, so he needs to download and install the required plugins too

EDIT:

just realised that I might have misunderstood your problem

Do the textfiles end with .txt? If it is something else, does your mate have that extension assigned to any editor that the system know which program to use to open that file?

It's a text file with different extension, but we did assign that extension to text editor, but he still couldn't open them.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Oh, I misunderstood too.

Let me guess windows 7

I've had same issue with assigning default editor to files, especially custom file extensions.

• Oh, I misunderstood too.

Let me guess windows 7

I've had same issue with assigning default editor to files, especially custom file extensions.

Probably win 7. That's weird because it is working on my pc with win 7.

• > Oh, I misunderstood too.

> Let me guess windows 7

> I've had same issue with assigning default editor to files, especially custom file extensions.

>

Probably win 7. That's weird because it is working on my pc with win 7.

It used to work on mine(win 7 pro), BUT, it stopped working. I eventually had to get a guy in to sort it out. He wrote a bash script which deactivated something or other (I know a lot, but I don't know everything - no one can ) and it started working again.

He did tell me why and that windows 7 and vista were prone to it becoming an issue. But, in all honesty it went in one ear and out the other.

It also could be unrelated to your friend.

I have lots of software which makes changes (programming software)

I make lots of changes to windows 7 which could have triggered something.

I run into problems every now and again and I use tweaking.com windows all repair all in one software (its free) and it does what I would have done anyways. It can reset everything back to normal again (from user permissions to that annoying pop up each time you start a program) you get to choose, which suits me.

Wait a bit for Ashley, he knows a great deal, and will give some valuable insight.

• megatronx could your friend share a screenshot? I was having difficulties imaging what you're actually trying to accomplish.

Am I correct in that you saved a *.capx, sent it to your friend, and he is trying to open it? You did say it was one file you sent.

• megatronx could your friend share a screenshot? I was having difficulties imaging what you're actually trying to accomplish.

Am I correct in that you saved a *.capx, sent it to your friend, and he is trying to open it? You did say it was one file you sent.

No, I'm talking about project files within capx. Text files in this instance.

• megatronx Ah, ok. So he does have the same version of Construct 2 installed on his computer as yours, then? Is he attempting to open the files from within Construct 2's project manager?

• megatronx Ah, ok. So he does have the same version of Construct 2 installed on his computer as yours, then? Is he attempting to open the files from within Construct 2's project manager?

Yeah, he had the latest version too, and tried opening from within the manager.

• megatronx what if he tries saving the project as a whole project so everything is in one folder instead of the single capx, and opens the files from there?

That way, he can drag and drop files into a text editor, like Notepad, instead of bothering with extension stuff.

• megatronx what if he tries saving the project as a whole project so everything is in one folder instead of the single capx, and opens the files from there?

That way, he can drag and drop files into a text editor, like Notepad, instead of bothering with extension stuff.

Thanks, we will try that.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)