Where is the manual entry on default instances?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
  • Where can I find the manual entry on default instances? Is there even one? By default instance I mean the one that future instances inherit their properties from when drag 'n dropping from the object bar or creating via an event.

I thought the first instance created in the whole project became the default instance. I've been using C2 for years under this assumption with no problems...but I recently discovered (by what I thought was a bug) that the default instance is actually the one in the top-most layout...unless there isn't one in the top-most layout...In which case I was right.

On the contrary, the default instance for tilemaps seems to change to the latest one. For example, if I create a tilemap object in one layout and leave it blank, then place an instance in another layout and put some tiles on it, the next instance I create has those same tiles on it and I have to erase them every time. It should not have any tiles on it, like the first instance I created.

I'm not sure if these are bugs or by design but it's a bit of a mess and I want to know exactly how C2 expects us to manage them. If anything we need the ability to set the default instance on our own, but Ashley said in a similar thread that isn't happening until C3, if ever.

• The way the editor works with tilemap instances is kinda funky.

• In C2 it's basically undefined. It picks an arbitrary instance (read: random) to use as the default instance in the editor. It could revert to using the default settings every time, but this is usually worse, e.g. if you have 3 large red text instances, and you drag and drop in a new one, you probably don't want it to revert to small black text - picking any of the existing objects to clone is more sensible. One workaround is to adjust your workflow so you always copy and paste or ctrl+drag an instance, so the editor knows which one you want to copy from.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • But how can that be true with what I mentioned above? My experience says this:

-Placing an instance in the top-most layout makes it the default instance at any time.

-The first instance in any layout (if there is NOT one in the top-most layout) is the default.

-The first instance in any layout (if the one in the top-most layout has been deleted) becomes the default.

There's nothing random about that...

It appears the best way to ensure default instances is not only to create an "Object Bank" layout which all objects should be created in but to also place that layout at the very top.

All in all it's, again, a bit of a mess. It should work something like this:

Create an object anywhere

Set its properties

Select "Make Default Instance" (if not first in project)

Delete the instance so it's stored in the object bar and not wasting space in a messy "Object Bank" layout reminiscent of the days of MMF2.

Or just, y'know, a full blown pre-fab system like Unity's..but that's been discussed before.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)