About the jerkiness on the movement...

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Run and Jump in 3 Dimensions! Take your platformer to the next level!
  • eli0s, you're right - I can still detect the jittering after 10-15 secs, it's just far less pronounced after that time. Incidentally, if I try and do any periodic work using sprites (like ray-casting with collision checks every 0.5 sec) then that seriously impacts on smoothness. I'll try and put a small demo together to show you what I mean. But, bottom line, the jittering is always present to some degree and it really spoils what would otherwise be an awesome engine.

• skelooth , I made the test so to force the fps below 60. I'd the rotate behavior added to the spawned sprites but I wasn't using them as reference for performance. I was checking for jitters or any other performance artifacts with an other Sprite that had the platform behavior and I was jumping around the layout an other sprites with the solid behavior. Basic stuff. My point for cross referencing the other topic is in relation to your earlier post in which you mention low frame rates. My purpose was to refrain the connection between frame rate drops and the jerkiness I describe. They seem to be unrelated for the most part. Even at the beginning of the layout in which the jerkiness is more evident (as Colludium also notice), although the frame rate is also lower that 60 for a few seconds, I don't think that there is a direct relation between them.

Colludium , I thought so. That happens to be the jittering that I mostly care about, because at least at the start of the layout you can find ways to hide it (a cutscene for example), but during the gameplay is super underwhelming to cope with... Please do post a demo, it will help all of us to underline and better understand the problem.

• Here's a quick example I put together to hopefully demonstrate the effect I'm talking about. It contains a couple of deliberate inefficiencies (creating unnecessary objects and then destroying them), but they serve to create the effect I'm trying to demonstrate. I would have thought that a tiny project like this (2.8 mb image memory) would not cause any problems on my mighty laptop...

Are my expectations of html5 just way off?

Edit - it's a simple platformer with stuff happening... Standard controls.

• Colludium , I experience exactly what we describe above on my desktop. Although the simple graphics at first makes the problem somewhat less noticeable, if I run around from start to end back and forth it begins to be very noticeable. Also, I believe that the more detailed and refined the game is, the more evident the problem will be, because it's one thing to look at a solid square jumping around and an other thing to see detailed animations get chooped for no apparent reason.

By the way, very instructive and useful line of sight system you have there! I learned something today

• eli0s, thanks! And I agree, I think that the more complicated the game (graphics and events) then the more pronounced the effect becomes. It makes me feel like I'm developing for mobile when, in fact, I'm targeting whopping big hardware that can easily cope with the likes of GTA!

• runs fine for me. Ultra smooth in fullscreen. No real jitter no matter what I do to it. At least not like what I was experiencing.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • ... At least not like what I was experiencing.

You mean what you were experiencing with my example or with any capx that runs with webGL disabled..?

• I agree that it it doesn't look like the end of the world, but it does detract from an otherwise glossy performance. A quick visit to various html5 gaming sites and I cannot find any examples of other games that exhibit this sort of stuttering problem...

What I found interesting in trying to set up that little example is that the jitter didn't seem to get any worse even if I went mad and created dozens of extra sprites - so there was little difference when I had 500 dynamic objects bouncing around or 50.

What I find frustrating is that when there's a ludicrous amount going on, the player is less likely to notice any jitter because they will be focussed on other movements, but when there are just a handful of sprites on screen, any jitter to the scrolling background (ie the player's movement when scrolled to) really stands out.

• Well, I've reported an issue about jitter movement on my ARPG game long time ago, then no one cares until this thread.

I know a way to get pure performance is about monitor resolution, besides you can resize browser window to small like 400 x 300, you get perfect 60 fps and smooth movement, there a 10% chance of getting spike lag in every tick due to GC.

Otherwise, the bigger canvas screen is upscaled to 1920 x 1080 it would cause jitter and frequently spike lags. So HTML5 is not perfect for gaming.

• Not sure about this "jittery movement" (numerous threads on it already...usually linked to low resolution, pixel rounding, etc.) but I do occasionally get "performance / lag spikes" in every one of my projects, and they are potentially game-breaking.

Construct Classic had the same problem and I'm pretty sure the consensus was that it had to do with garbage collection.

• Yes, small window res and letterbox integer scale can certainly reduce the jitter, but my laptop will quite happily play GTA at resolutions that make a C2 platform game appear like it is being rendered on 1980s technology.

• Not sure about this "jittery movement" (numerous threads on it already...usually linked to low resolution, pixel rounding, etc.) but I do occasionally get "performance / lag spikes" in every one of my projects, and they are potentially game-breaking.

Construct Classic had the same problem and I'm pretty sure the consensus was that it had to do with garbage collection.

I'm pretty satisfied with those explanations. To be honest I think everything functions fantastic for the most part. It exceeds every one of my expectations at least.

• Yes, small window res and letterbox integer scale can certainly reduce the jitter, but my laptop will quite happily play GTA at resolutions that make a C2 platform game appear like it is being rendered on 1980s technology.

That is a really "unfair" comparison. If you would like to develop GTA quality games you will need to find or license an engine that is meant for that type of game.

However, if you wanted to make GTA1 or GTA2, then construct2 is probably a better choice than a 3d engine.

Right tool for the right job. You can't fault a hammer for not being a good screwdriver.

• i runned the exmaple, and no jerkiness reported here, but i have notice it from time to time.

• I found the jerkiness to be more evident in eli0s example. It is very clear, there is nothing that can cause a CPU or GPU slowness, but you can notice the square "trembling" from time to time.

I have also noticed it in my games... And it doesn´t look good.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)