iOS-Game data lost on iOS update

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Fantasy Game includes more than 600 sound effects inspired by hit computer games like World of Warcraft and Diablo.
  • I have a worrying problem with my game Cluckles' Adventure on iOS. I had two users report to me that they had lost all game progress after updating their Apple devices to iOS 10.3.1.

And my own testing confirms these reports. I updated my iPhone5 to 10.3.1 and the game was reset. All game progress was lost along with saved data about control positioning and audio settings. I use LocalStorage to save the game's data.

So apparently this particular iOS update is for some reason interfering with / removing the LocalStorage data for my game?

-I can say that data for other apps wasnt lost on my device. It seems like my game is the only one that experienced this issue.

-I have to assume that it's not happening to everyone. If it were I think there would be more people complaining about it. So I think its not universal, its only affecting a few users. But still I need to work out how to fix it!

I'm wondering if anyone else who publishes to iOS noticed this problem? And does anyone have any ideas what I need to do to address this issue?

I discovered this thread: Local storage/array losing data which discusses the loss of LocalStorage data on iOS. In this thread mentions that in the past iOS could delete LocalStorage files if the devices storage was low? Is this possibly related? In my case my device had 5.7 GB of free space when I updated the OS, so... seems like it has plenty of storage space..

Thanks for any advice.

• It was hovering over the internet already, you require to make a back up of everything on your apple device before updating to 10.3.1. Or you loose your data.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hi mate. I made a backup before updating. But the point remains that on updating my iPhone the data was lost only from my game, no other apps lost data.

• The latest iOS update changed the way it handles file storage, I have some complaints about data loss as well.

Nothing we can do about it since we're at the mercy of Apple's ridiculous decision to change stuff constantly.

Just count it a blessing if your game still even works with new iOS updates.

• The latest iOS update changed the way it handles file storage, I have some complaints about data loss as well.

Nothing we can do about it since we're at the mercy of Apple's ridiculous decision to change stuff constantly.

Just count it a blessing if your game still even works with new iOS updates.

Yeah I was reading that Apple changed the file system.

So you have received similar complaints from your users that they are losing game data when they update ? So data is being lost from LocalStorage in your case?

I guess I need to put a note in the game description to say, 'Be sure to backup your phone before updating.'

• Yup, the save game is screwed with the new update due to file structure changes. It's not about backup or not, it's just the old file structure no longer works.

Luckily, it does not prevent LocalStorage from writing new data so new saves post updates seem ok... at least for now since I've not been bombarded with complaints about that yet. lol

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)