HTML5 support on smart watches?

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Comprehensive localization solution for Construct 3 projects, no addons required!
  • So there will be three flavors of smart watches out soon: Tizen, Google and Apple Watch.

Anybody know what the HTML5 support is like for Tizen and Google watches? or tried a C2 app on them?

• I guess it all comes down to whether they come with a web browser. Tinzen (Linux) and Google (Android) might support Chrome or Firefox, which supports HTML5. Apple (iOS) will ship with a browser, most likely Safari, which doesn't support HTML5 completely. Apple wearables might support Firefox. These wearables seem to be only extensions of another device, similar to Bluetooth headsets, which need to be paired to another device in order to work, or mere blood pressure devices (Google Fit).

• I wonder how we'd get access to the sensors, like blood pressure, in those wearables. getUserMedia() doesn't seem appropriate. Ashley, is there something in the w3c already for those use cases? This is pure speculation BTW, we don't know if those devices will even have a browser.

Realistically, the more viable option would probably be wrappers until the tech matures.

• It's kind of hard to find out any information about what the 'LG G Watch' (https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/LG_G_Watch_Black_Titan?id=lg_g_watch_black&hl=en_GB) actually does. The apple watch at least looks like it will support apps. I just think it would be cool to have one of these again.

• I'm wondering how we'd get access to sensor data via javascript if it has a browser. The current specs are designed with PCs/tablets/mobiles in mind.

• It's kind of hard to find out any information about what the 'LG G Watch' (https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/LG_G_Watch_Black_Titan?id=lg_g_watch_black&hl=en_GB) actually does. The apple watch at least looks like it will support apps. I just think it would be cool to have one of these again.

My 6-year-old wants one of these.

• Short answer: I don't know - I'm not sure if wearables act as a thin client for work done by the phone, or if they come with the necessary hardware (what kind of chip/GPU are they going to squeeze in to a watch?!), or if they can run the same apps as the host OS (e.g. Android APKs on your watch).

It's hard to imagine a web browser on a watch, and I find it hard to see how much fun you could have trying to poke your watch face to play a tiny game when you have your phone in your pocket as well. I think the answer is just to wait and see. If anyone has one and is experimenting with it, I'd be curious to hear how customisable it is in this regard.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • All I know is they definitely connect to a phone via bluetooth connection and they can tell you the time!!!

The LG G Watch looks like all it does is stream some trivial information from the phone. If it had some form of app store I might be tempted. The Apple Watch looks like it does have some form of app store from the official product video.

However, information is very vague. So I'll wait.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)