[How to] Node Webkit for Linux and Mac (2015)

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Node Downloader is a plugin for download file for Construct 3 and construct 2 game engine
  • andreyin thanks, I'll try that out once I get mac access again.

it's high quality. I don't see how that's relevant though, even if revering to medium quality fixes it it's still a terrible workaround and a bug that needs to be fixed.

Anyone know how I can revert to 10.5 in the meantime? I tried putting my nw files from r184 in the nwjsforc2 directory but that didn't work.

Thanks!

• Maybe this could help? This also explains how to revert to 10.5

• sqiddster

This is a response I got from Julien Scirra via email when setting downscaling to Medium fixed my red loading bar (was set to High originally):

[quote:1yw2yi2m]

We have indeed had users having issues recently with this new property that was added not that long ago.

You can read a bit more about it and its impact in this manual article.

It all comes down to memory usage, and thus should make sense as why it could prevent the game from loading in the first place.

If you feel that your project should still be able to load and execute despite those case, we may investigate it and optimize our engine further.

Here's the manual entry he's referring to:

https://www.scirra.com/manual/183/memory-usage

Specifically:

[quote:1yw2yi2m]

When exporting, Construct 2 runs several optimisations including spritesheeting to save memory. Setting the Downscaling project property to 'High quality' forces spritesheeting to pad out all sprites to power-of-two sizes, negating the memory saving of spritesheets. This can significantly add to the memory requirement of your project. Since 'High quality' mode exists only to address two relatively minor rendering issues (edge fringing on sprites, or altered quality on the last animation frame), it should not be used unless one of these rendering issues has been specifically observed and the issue is resolved by choosing this option. Otherwise your project will be paying a very high price in memory usage for no reason.

tl;dr -- high quality should ONLY be used if you see unfixable issues with medium quality.

• Penelope starts in low quality (project settings), then switch to high for the title screen/cutscenes/dialogs, then switch to low for gameplay, then switch back to high for cutscenes, then low for gameplay etc...

Maybe for Airscape you could try to autoswitch depending of the average framerate? I made a test a few months ago, and it worked quite ok!

• there *are* unfixable issues with medium quality, hence I'm using high quality.

Aurel I think you're referring to fullscreen scaling, which is unrelated to memory usage and can be changed at runtime. 80bit is referring to the image quality setting which effects how images are exported and cannot be changed at runtime.

This whole thing is ridiculous - C2 uses layout-by-layout loading so memory usage isn't directly related to number of files. I've never noticed problems with memory usage.

Measuring in the task manager, the game currently uses about 300mb RAM at startup and about 600mb ingame (presumably mostly from music etc). No idea about VRAM usage, in C2 debug it says about 50mb. That certainly isn't unreasonable.

• there *are* unfixable issues with medium quality, hence I'm using high quality.

my bad dude, was just trying to give my feedback / experience.

• my bad dude, was just trying to give my feedback / experience.

Oh no problem at all, sorry if I came across as rude, not my intention. Really appreciate you helping out

As for your email reply from Scirra - I can't see how it's an engine optimization issue. If it only happens in NW on certain OS's, and it works fine in Windows consistently, it must be a NW issue? Or am I misunderstanding?

• Oh no problem at all, sorry if I came across as rude, not my intention. Really appreciate you helping out

As for your email reply from Scirra - I can't see how it's an engine optimization issue. If it only happens in NW on certain OS's, and it works fine in Windows consistently, it must be a NW issue? Or am I misunderstanding?

yeah it could very well have been that our issues were unrelated. I think when i was getting a red bar, it might have been on all OS' -- it's been a while & i cant recall. If you want to rule a system issue out you can always send me that stripped down capx you made and I can try building it on my end. I tried that with Andre Chagas Silva for Dreaming Sarah and it worked on my machine so he knew it was something specific to his setup and a reinstall fixed it all up. Sorry i cant help any more, but Ill help however I can!

• OK, finally got my mac up and running. Same issue. I've submitted a bug report to nw.js. Hopefully they can do something with that. If you guys could maybe add a comment saying it's effecting you too that would be awesome!

• Hi Aurel

I'm currently trying to get my game Orbit working well on osx. Was the lack of webgl effects a problem for you, or did you not have any from the start? I use the Tint effect quite a lot and I can't really think of an alternative tat works without webgl.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • AlexFrancois what makes you think webGL doesn't work on OSX? In all my testing it works fine, as it should.

• AlexFrancois what makes you think webGL doesn't work on OSX? In all my testing it works fine, as it should.

From my understanding webGL support was only added in os 10.10, I'm testing on 10.7 and no effects are rendered.

• AlexFrancois where did you heat that? I'm 99.99% sure that's not true.

EDIT: I misread your post a little bit, I guess you're talking about mac OS's? I can't really comment on that, I haven't tried on a lot of different OSX's.

• > AlexFrancois what makes you think webGL doesn't work on OSX? In all my testing it works fine, as it should.

>

From my understanding webGL support was only added in os 10.10, I'm testing on 10.7 and no effects are rendered.

I am using a mac for my primary testing environment and can confirm pretty much all webgl effects have been working for me over 2 years now.

• >

> > AlexFrancois what makes you think webGL doesn't work on OSX? In all my testing it works fine, as it should.

> >

>

> From my understanding webGL support was only added in os 10.10, I'm testing on 10.7 and no effects are rendered.

>

I am using a mac for my primary testing environment and can confirm pretty much all webgl effects have been working for me over 2 years now.

Turns out it was gpu blacklisting on the 2009 macbook I'm testing on, thanks for the help. Hopefully I can have the mac version up on Steam by Wednesday!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)