Feature Request - Copy/Paste in place

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Forgotten Place - Melodic ambiance, background music, Synth
  • Just thought I'd add a feature request to be able to copy an object(s) and paste it in the same X & Y location.

• Why not just type in an X and Y position in the properties bar after pasting?

• I don't think this will work if you copy multiple objects on screen - you would have to set the x/y for every object.

• You can paste them all in whatever location, then select them all at once, and type in the xy coordinates and they will all be placed at once.

• Sorry for my ignorance, but won't they all be placed at the same XY coordinates you enter?

• Yes, but I thought that was what you wanted. Sorry if I misunderstood your post.

• What I'm looking for is if you have an object at 0,0 and an object at 50, 50, you can copy BOTH objects and paste both objects at the same coordinates they are at without having to manually set each one (useful for things such as menus across layouts, etc.)

Hopefully that makes more sense?

• You probably shouldn't be duplicating menu/UI elements across your layouts, anyway. If you make one change down the line then you'll have to go through each layout and make the changes again. Probably why you're getting bothered enough to request this feature.

I suggest either building your UI elements with events (use a common event sheet called "UI" or something, and include that for each layout's event sheet), or create a single global layout that's persistent across each screen.

• If you can handle copying some object manually , don't even think of making games ,

I don't want to feel rude but come one !

• The best options have been mentioned, creating them via events/using a single layout for multiple levels (if this is ui), or you can paste them in then use the arrow keys to align them by moving them all at once.

Whiteclaws - if you're copying and pasting the same thing across 50 levels, it can become a tedious task, especially if you make an edit and then have to redo the work. Nothing wrong with wanting tools to help improve that. That's one of the whole ideas behind the event sheet includes, so you don't have to copy and paste your events repeatedly for different layouts.

There's actually a feature CC had made specifically for this ? I think they were called in inheritance layers. You could enter a name of a layer from a different layout, and it would automatically have all of the objects from that layer created at the start of the layout (sort of like 'layer includes'). Hopefully C2 will get it eventually.

• try this (requires at least r123.2):

1. select them all

2. press enter

3. set position

I have not actually tried this, but it may work.

• I suggest either building your UI elements with events (use a common event sheet called "UI" or something, and include that for each layout's event sheet), or create a single global layout that's persistent across each screen.

I actually didn't know you could create a global layout! Is there a tutorial anywhere for this?

If you can handle copying some object manually , don't even think of making games ,

I don't want to feel rude but come one !

Not when "some" objects are 50+ objects spread throughout 7 different layers in 20 different layouts. I'm not saying this is what my project is, I'm just saying if I don't finish the art/design for a menu and never change it from inception, this is what will happen.

In AAA game development, sometimes huge changes are made in the middle of a project due to publisher reactions.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • try this (requires at least r123.2):

1. select them all

2. press enter

3. set position

I have not actually tried this, but it may work.

Thanks Sqiddster - I'll have to try this when I'm home.

• ome6a1717, there isn't a tutorial that I know of. Maybe it's worth me writing one, actually. But you can read up the basics here. Shout if you need help.

• I can't seem to figure this out - I'm creating the same layer names and making objects global in the new layout, but when I load my normal level, the UI doesn't show. I've also made an event sheet for the UI and set on start of layout, set sprites visible & set z to top.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)