Feature? "Allow deactivation" option in event group settings

0 favourites
  • 2 posts
From the Asset Store
Creepy Sprite Font suitable font for your Dark/Horror/Halloween games.
  • I had a thought for a possible feature.

In the "Edit" dialog for event group settings, there could be an "Allow deactivation" checkbox.

This might eliminate the need for every event group to have a unique name.

What it might solve:

Currently, any group can be disabled with the System > "Set Group Active" action.

The "Set Group Active" action takes a group's name as a parameter.

This means that every group in the entire project must have a unique name. (even across separate event sheets)

Group deactivation is a cool feature, but when I create a group, 99% of the time it's just for organization purposes, and will never be deactivated. Unfortunately, there's no way to tell C2 that I will never want to disable the vast majority of groups, and so C2 still requires me to give every one of them a unique name.

Now that I'm working on larger projects, I'm starting to append a namespace prefix (based on the event sheet name) to the groups I create to prevent group name collisions between event sheets. As a side effect, group names are getting longer and more visually cluttered.

How it could work:

If we add an "Allow deactivation" checkbox into the group settings, then individual groups can opt out of needing a unique name. Or since the majority of groups will never need to be deactivated, the default could be that groups must opt *in* to needing a unique name.

Again, I like the group deactivation feature, but I usually only use groups for organization. Even according to the Scirra manual, "Groups of events are mainly for organizing events."

Anyway, just a thought.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • +1 ; most of my groups are for organisation purposes only as well

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)