feature question

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
  • Hi, I created a couple of mobile games with C2 6 months ago, and stopped because of a few reasons (below). Has anything been added to help any of these three areas?

1. non-trivial info/settings screens too hard to create - no support for dialogues etc. Almost as hard as the game itself, requiring a lot of sprites, events and event hacks (as much as the game itself)

2. Difficult to handle swipe gesture on mobile, which breaks button handling. I.e. swipe in/out different configuration/info screens.

3. No ability to create libraries or cut and paste code across projects, requires a lot of re-entering and maintaining of duplicate code.

Great product other than this.

Thanks!

• 1.) I don't know about info/settings screens, but I agree that I've found it difficult to create text-heavy games in C2 (but, then again, I have found this hard with most game creators other than those specifically designed for text adventures e.g. Undum)

2.) Not quite sure what issue you're describing here, but I personally don't have any problems implementing swipe gestures on mobile. What problems were you having?

3.) I write all my custom code as Javascript plugins/behaviours which means they're automatically available in every project - no need to cut and paste - just import and enable the relevant plugin.

• 1.) Use arrays for dialogues , C2 never supplied sprites for dialogues , but you can always customize the text boxes with CSS !

2.) Never made a mobile game , so I can't answer you for that

3.) You can , you just need to be sure that the objects referred in the events and all their settings are the same in the two projects or C2 might crash on you ... I'm sure libraries are on Ashley's list

Cheers ...

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks for the replies. By Dialogues, I meant dialogue boxes for things like settings, info, rules, help etc.

To implement swipe, you have to track x & y mouse coords, and have thresholds for dx dy etc. however, if they start/end the swipe over a button, then you get an unwanted button event also. Unless you manage all button type events yourself, which is pure pain.

Other libs I have used have allowed more interaction with the surrounding OS, which for mobile would be the html5/css outside the canvas. I could not find a way to use this (e.g. use CSS transforms to swipe in info pages outside of the canvas, which was not designed to do this).

• The manual and release notes for the builds in the last 6 months may shed some light on this much quicker...

• 1.) Oh right - I was thinking about character dialogues in a narrative game and issues related to dynamic text box sizing, line-wrapping etc. But some of those issues are probably relevant to what you're describing too.

2.) Your original question asked about gestures on mobile, but then your second comment mentioned mouse coords...? Either way, I recognise swipes/gestures using mousedown/mousereleased events, whereas button presses are detected through mouseclick (or the equivalent touch events), so I don't see how you get unwanted events?

3.) No - basically everything has got to be contained in the canvas.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)