Expression Box Can Use a ScrollBar For the Next Update

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Fantasy Game includes more than 600 sound effects inspired by hit computer games like World of Warcraft and Diablo.
  • This is probably just me.

But, Ashley can you implement a scrollbar for the expression box for the next update?

For a certain function to populate a large array, I require 55 parameters.

After the first 27 parameters for the function, I can't see the other 28 parameters at the bottom.

They are still there and I can change their values via tabbing without any issues other than the obvious difficulty.

Of course, it would be vastly better if I could see what I am doing when I adjust the values of the bottom 28 parameters.

This is the function in question.

Thanks in advance.

• Wouldn't it be a better idea to put all your data into an external file, and import it via ajax?

Storing data "in game" is usually thought of as a bad idea.

• No offense, but when you need more than 26 parameters, you should really think about your code.

• I agree that scroll-bar is a must.

However, why don't you populate array using external files?

• Wouldn't it be a better idea to put all your data into an external file, and import it via ajax?

Storing data "in game" is usually thought of as a bad idea.

No offense, but when you need more than 26 parameters, you should really think about your code.

I agree that scroll-bar is a must.

However, why don't you populate array using external files?

It's more convenience for the game I am making, since I plan to create it as an offline version with easy portability.

I rather not depend too much on external files whenever possible to facilitate my design goals

• It's no problem to work with JSON Files offline.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • This is crazy, you should never need so many parameters. Use external data files or simply write directly to an array.

• This is crazy, you should never need so many parameters. Use external data files or simply write directly to an array.

I need this amount of parameters because there are some computation involved with some of the values in the function.

The values are not constant in what I use them for.

So, I guess, scrollbar support won't be up for consideration, is it?

Well, I will just use another method to circumvent this issue then.

• No, I mean in principle it is always possible to use something else to store function parameters, such as local variables, array storage, dictionary, etc. and in this case when you have a great many it would seem to be much more suitable.

• Use a Dictionary to store you values. Pass your Dictionary custom var name. Also if you want. You can pass the Dictionary.JSON. Then rebuild the JSON. Your sample of need isn't good design. And iv'e never in 22 years of programming ever seen a function require more than 6 paramaters. There is a point if there are more than X params. Then it's better to pass an object with the values rather than the values.

Listen to Ashley. It's his engine. and he's right 99% of the time.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)