Hey guys I just wanted to give an update.
So basically over the past couple of days I've been testing it and here are my results:
- The game using NW v10.5 currently works fine on the majority of computers. As far as I can tell, I've got it down to 0 bugs running on these machines, however working code had to be moved around to fix the random export bugs. I also had to eliminate all code using Overlapping at offset. Overlapping at offset appeared to be creating to many random problems in the export builds. So those have been replaced with player overlapping, trigger volumes.
- Unfortunately there appears to be one computer on the batch I tested on which flat out refuses to work with the NW exports. I have tried numerous things, including not minifying the code (which caused massive slowdowns... for some reason ><), but it just doesn't seem to want to work. This computer (when it works) appears to get stuck on one particular section which requires the player to overlap an trigger volume and left click.
- Despite this one computer which doesn't work, I'm going to go ahead and release the game. If someone gets the random game-breaking bugs that the one outlier computer gets then at least it'll give me more data so that I can attempt to fix it as right now I have no idea what is the causing the bugs. It's for this reason I can't submit a bug report, because I honestly don't have a clue where the bugs come from or why.
- It's important for me to note that this is a project with roughly 900 or events, and lots of assits. The game has been tested, A LOT, and as far as I can tell none of the random bugs that happen are due to the game's code. They seem to be attached to screen resolution (the game is running at a fixed 16:9 resolution), with each computer behaving differently (with each computer running a diff resolution from a resolution that matches the 16:9 screen resolution to completely square 1024x1024 resolutions).
My advice to those experiencing problems:
1) Try to avoid using overlapping at offset. Instead maybe use triggers, or something else which isn't as hit and miss in different resolutions.
2) Simplify your code as much as possible without breaking it. For example: If you have code which has bits disabled out, then delete the crossed out bits. Also try to make sure nothing, such as variables or various different events, crosses over.
3) Sometimes something as simple as rearranging a line of code to put it in front of it's queue, does enough to get rid of random bugs in NW.
4) Test on as many PCs as possible on as many different resolutions as possible. Something might work fine on one PC, but on another you might get game-breaking bugs, so always check them.
That's about it. I hope that helps anyone. If you have any more questions then feel free to ask. Hopefully I didn't make it to confusing... I'm pretty tried ><.
Moving forward I will probably continue to develop games using C2, however I'll just have to wait and see what the reaction is to this game and whether or not a lot more random bugs appear.