Export File Sizes are Huge!

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
From the Asset Store
A terrifying package of 101 professional-quality sound effects for monsters, small beasts, huge behemoths, dragons and m
  • So I exported a very simple game and when I go to look at it's file size it turns out to be 82 MBs, which is way too large, the game is extremely simple too! I only have one Layout,one Event sheet, 7 Objects and 5 Layers! Is there any way to compress the file size? This is an extremely irritating issue to me and if there is no fix then I would be extremely disappointed. If you want to know I exported using the latest Node Webkit and I am referring to the Windows x64 Export.

• Node webkit is packaged with the game so even blank projects exported with it are around 25mb.

You must be using some huge images or music files or something. Our project with over 1000 images and 3000 events comes out to ~52mb.

Edit: NW exports to 3 platforms as well. Is the filesize you posted all of them together..?

• Node webkit is packaged with the game so even blank projects exported with it are around 25mb.

You must be using some huge images or music files or something. Our project with over 1000 images and 3000 events comes out to ~52mb.

Edit: NW exports to 3 platforms as well. Is the filesize you posted all of them together..?

HOLY CRAP IT'S TOKINSOM! BRUH! I'M A HUGE FAN OF YOUR WORK! Anyway Fangirling aside, no, I'm only referring to

the Windows x64 file, and all of my files are not huge at all, they are extremely small sprites. I am however using a Project file instead of a single file .capx, so that could cause it, I'm gonna try exporting it from a single file now.

Edit:No matter what I do the project is still sized at 80+ MBS,

• HOLY CRAP IT'S TOKINSOM! BRUH! I'M A HUGE FAN OF YOUR WORK!

• If your game is as tiny as you say it is, that sounds absurd. There is a definite overhead with nw.js, but you've got to have a bunch of audio or large files in there somewhere. That said, the 64 bit versions are always larger than their 32 bit counterparts. The 64 bit Windows version of my game is 15MB larger than the 32 bit version. But even still, I have TONS of images and files in my game and it still exports somewhere around 120 MB. I've put a lot of effort into being efficient, but it's no small game.

• If your game is as tiny as you say it is, that sounds absurd. There is a definite overhead with nw.js, but you've got to have a bunch of audio or large files in there somewhere. That said, the 64 bit versions are always larger than their 32 bit counterparts. The 64 bit Windows version of my game is 15MB larger than the 32 bit version. But even still, I have TONS of images and files in my game and it still exports somewhere around 120 MB. I've put a lot of effort into being efficient, but it's no small game.

This was supposed to be a top secret Engine project but, meh whatever, heres the .capx file, try exporting it yourself and tell me the results:

http:// mediafire . com / download / xqqx21o3q6045j9/Derpanier .capx

Just remove all the spaces

• I'm sorry for reposting in this thread but I REALLY want an answer to my problem, I still don't get why my export file size is huge! As I said here is the file if you want to try exporting youself

" http:// mediafire . com / download / xqqx21o3q6045j9/Derpanier .capx

Just remove all the spaces"

• Well, I exported the project, and it was the same size as what you said. I opened package.nw with winrar and looked at the sprite sheets and images. Everything seemed normal. I didn't see any sounds, and I didn't see other things that would add to the file size.

I also started a new blank project and exported that. It was also 82mb in 64bit node-webkit. So, it looks like that's about as small as that export will get. The 32bit version is a little smaller (and should probably work fine).

I don't think there's any way to make it smaller seeing as how a blank project is the same size almost.

• Well, I exported the project, and it was the same size as what you said. I opened package.nw with winrar and looked at the sprite sheets and images. Everything seemed normal. I didn't see any sounds, and I didn't see other things that would add to the file size.

I also started a new blank project and exported that. It was also 82mb in 64bit node-webkit. So, it looks like that's about as small as that export will get. The 32bit version is a little smaller (and should probably work fine).

I don't think there's any way to make it smaller seeing as how a blank project is the same size almost.

I thank you A LOT for the really helpful response, so, is there any way to get around this? a different way perhaps to export to windows?

• If you are exporting for PC, this is about the only way I know of for a desktop exe. If you need a smaller size, just use the 32bit version. It even runs better sometimes (and I'm on 64bit system).

This isn't my area of expertise though, so if anyone else has advice, let me know.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Gewku

You could use UPX. This is a packer for executables. You don't need to unpack it, it's still executable, but it works only with the 32 Bit Versions. http://upx.sourceforge.net/

I have compressed your exe with UPX from 45.2 MB to 15.5 MB. But it only compress the exe not the other files in the directory. So overall the whole directory shrank from 67 MB to 38 MB.

• If you are exporting for PC, this is about the only way I know of for a desktop exe. If you need a smaller size, just use the 32bit version. It even runs better sometimes (and I'm on 64bit system).

This isn't my area of expertise though, so if anyone else has advice, let me know.

Thanks a lot either way =D

Gewku

You could use UPX. This is a packer for executables. You don't need to unpack it, it's still executable, but it works only with the 32 Bit Versions. I have compressed your exe with UPX from 45.2 MB to 15.5 MB. But it only compress the exe not the other files in the directory. So overall the whole directory shrank from 67 MB to 38 MB.

Alright! Imma try it! thanks!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)