Will there ever be a simple way to change icons/tm names?

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
Basic Rounded Vector Geometry Player Design with Glow for 3 player games
  • Right now when you export to NWJS it seems to be an utter pain to change your games taskbar icon from construct 2 to what it rightly should be- your games. I'm not sure if it is designed to work as advertising for C2, but I have paid for a licence.

It also is a pain to change the name that appears in task manager, i have players complaining they cant end task on my game, and it's because its names NWJS.

These are huge deciders for me if i stick with the engine, theres a lack of export control- why not add something before export that allows us to upload the icon image if we want to at the very least? Even if this comes in Construct 3 it is definately needed, you cannot have a professional looking game if the taskbar icon is that of the engine you are using, and other engines allow you to change icon easily.

• i think this tutorial will help you export to .exe with nwjs

there is also this post that asks the same thing you askedchange the nwjs icon

but i think you can change the icons from the files folder inside the project in C2 you have 6 icons that by default uses C2 logo changing those will change ur apps icons and splash screen. im not however sure if those apply to nwjs... but ashley has a good response so i guess no way around it but to try those links above.

• Sounds like resource editor again, there really needs to be an update on this, it is such a basic thing for an engine to do.

• Ture, this should be in the editor. However since the engine uses a wrapper for Windows export, I'm not sure that it can be done without Resource Editor. Ashley can say how much work it would take to implement such feature.

• Changing the icon of a Windows executable is suprisingly hard. It uses the ICO format which is an ancient format dragged kicking and screaming from the 16-bit Windows 3.1 days all the way through to 64-bit Windows 10. It never had any decent support in the Windows APIs to write ICO files as far as I am aware, and the documentation on the subject is pretty poor (and absolutely littered with accumulated backwards-compatibility baggage from over the years). So to support this would basically mean spending several days reverse-engineering an old, obscure and poorly documented format. Alternatively there are existing tools that can do this, and we have a lot of much more pressing things to work on, so...

BTW I'm not aware of any issues with task manager - the window caption is taken from the project name, and you can rename the executable if you wish...

• Changing the icon of a Windows executable is suprisingly hard. It uses the ICO format which is an ancient format dragged kicking and screaming from the 16-bit Windows 3.1 days all the way through to 64-bit Windows 10. It never had any decent support in the Windows APIs to write ICO files as far as I am aware, and the documentation on the subject is pretty poor (and absolutely littered with accumulated backwards-compatibility baggage from over the years). So to support this would basically mean spending several days reverse-engineering an old, obscure and poorly documented format. Alternatively there are existing tools that can do this, and we have a lot of much more pressing things to work on, so...

Thanks for explaining it

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks for replying Ashley

I am not sure why it is coming up as NWJS, the project name is the game name and is exported with it as it's title.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)