How many events

0 favourites
  • 15 posts
From the Asset Store
14 amazing sound files of game events like Level Ups, Level Completes, object spawn, object taking etc.
  • Hey guys, just wondering what's the highest number of events you've put into a game with Construct 2? I'm at about 300 with my current game and it's not even close to done -_-

• Healer Quest, the game I just finished, is... 23015 events. ^^'

• Rable

Any video of the game?

• My game is 3943 events and that's just the engine so far and a couple of enemies and other things. I imagine mine's gonna be in the five or (most likely) six digits when it's done although our NPC scripts are stored in external files.

• A0Nasser

Sure, I just put the preview trailer online :

• Healer Quest, the game I just finished, is... 23015 events. ^^'

Jaw = floor.

• Rable , very nice hand drawn, crayon-look-like art! I like the look and the aesthetic a lot! Well done!

• Rable , very nice hand drawn, crayon-look-like art! I like the look and the aesthetic a lot! Well done!

Thanks a lot for watching and for your kind words !

• Ahh the monthly "How many Events" thread.

I top at 2500 for a full Point and Click Adventure engine. Can create an entire Point & Click without any additional event code. It's all interpreted data from files and properties.

Also as a heads up. More Events does not make a larger game. Event counts should only represent the number of features. I could add an extra 10 hours to my point and click and never increase the code by 1 line. Also I find a lot of new dev just copy and paste entire event sheets or groups not realizing they can do good development by re-using objects with SOL.

I remember one fellow came in with 4k events. However upon examination he re-duplicated his code for each enemy, he also duplicated the event sheet for every layout level. Once we showed the fellow how to use SOL for object filtering and use Include event sheet. His code dropped to about to about 700 events.

Anyways. 2500 tops for me.

• Also, more events is not obligatory a bad thing, if done right, for starters, one could think the number of events is a direct representation of performances, and that would be completely wrong, as the number of events is for the entire project, not for every single layout, and due to how event works, it is more than likely that if you code the right way (avoiding unnessecary work for the browser), the events really have an impact only when they are needed.

also, always prioritize in that order:

-organisation, first, never think "yeah, even if it is badly written, that is fine", and NEVER EVER think "if I organise it I might lose performances". Groups, Includes, functions, global and local variables, all neat tools you have at your disposal can help in some case.

-flexibility: can you make some parts of your code more flexible? if so, you should try, that may really helps in the long run

-use features, they are here for that, but don't overdo it. Sometimes I see people using features just for the sake of using them even when this is not the case where it is meant to be used (I will not talk about "lerping movement" again, but keep in mind that if a feature does what you want, use it, however if it is not it is meant to be used for, either do not use it or add a comment to be sure someone can read it correctly).

-reduce redundant code, functions and families are great for that for instance (might not reduce the actual number of events, but at least it will be cleaner).

-and last:performances, performanes should always be your last concern, you can optimise clean code every time you want, but dirty code is unusable.

• You'd be surprised how much you can optimize. Here's a playable 1 player pong game in two events.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85412219/forumposts/QuickyPong2/index.html

[attachment=0:3lvqbgag][/attachment:3lvqbgag]

• You'd be surprised how much you can optimize. Here's a playable 1 player pong game in two events.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/85412219/forumposts/QuickyPong2/index.html

[attachment=0:25fyh7sa][/attachment:25fyh7sa]

Code like this always amazes me.

• When I started, I made a big RPG, lots of stages & boss battles, full talent system, shops... it was around 3K events & ~15% CPU use, I thought at the time it was optimized. Then later on I rebuilt it from scratch, it was ~700 events with ~5-10% CPU utilization on an i5 3770K.

You always learn new ways to implement features with C2's flexibility.

• Paradox

A whole game in two events. Love it.

700 events is pretty impressive for an RPG. Must have been a hard decision to junk the original and start from scratch.

Ah, the power of a second draft.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Well, right now, my platform game 'CoinOp Story' has 3253 events. My code is not very optimised and the game isn't finished. It will probably do 4000/4500 events when finished.

Rable 23015 events?! OMG!!!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)