Ejecta Issues - Black Screen

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
Adjusting the game screen for different resolutions (Letterbox scale)
  • I've been trying to test my app using Ejecta, and for the last few hours, ever attempt has resulted in a black screen, and a message telling me that the connection to the simulated device has been lost.

Check through many tutorials, and I can see people saying "don't have the mouse" and "Don't use WebGL". Well I've disabled them both, along with countless other things, and it's just not working out.

I then read that Intel XDK can now export to iOS, and it's easy. Is that right?

I know Ejecta is meant to be easy too, but I've spent far too many times switching between my mac and my PC, exporting new versions, trying to figure out what is causing the issue.

If anyone has any insight, it'd be appreciated.

• Just to confirm, I've followed this tutorial telling me to export HTML5 and Ejecta Kitchen:

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/907/deploy-your-c2-game-to-ios-the-easy-way

This tutorial telling me to export via the Ejecta plugin and to download Xcode from GitHub:

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/992/how-to-export-to-ios-with-ejecta

And both just give me a black screen.

I'm more than happy to pm my capx if someone wants to have a look and tell me what I'm doing wrong. This whole thing has taken me 7 hours today, so far, and I'm miserable

• I've been using Ejecta for a while now and I don't remember experiencing black screens with my projects. I'm basically following Ashley's tutorial.

Are you using the latest Ejecta build/xcode/C2?

Are you running the game on an emulator or a device and what device/iOS version?

Are you getting any errors in xcode?

If I understood correctly, after running the game you see the splashscreen, after that a black screen. Does the game crash? Is anything loaded in the memory before crashing?

As for using Intel XDK for iOS, it's basically pure cordova, same as using phonegap, meaning you most likely won't see good performance on devices not running iOS8.

• KFC

Are you using the latest Ejecta build/xcode/C2?

I'm using the Ejecta plugin provided with the latest C2. The xcode version I'm using is whatever is provided in the tutorial.

Are you running the game on an emulator or a device and what device/iOS version?

I'm using a mac with an intel chip, and running the game through the Xcode emulator.

Are you getting any errors in xcode?

None. It tells me the build succeeded, shows me a black portrait screen (even if I set it to landscape) then after a few minutes, Xcode tells me it lost contact with the (emulated) device.

If I understood correctly, after running the game you see the splashscreen, after that a black screen. Does the game crash? Is anything loaded in the memory before crashing?

I see a black screen. Then, a minute or 2 later, the Ejecta splash may appear, but often I've gotten bored and just got on with other work, so I may have missed the splash screen the other times. It definitely doesn't appear quickly. How do I see if anything loaded into memory before the crash?

Would I be able to send you the capx?

• Just to clarify things, Xcode is the program you downloaded from itunes on your mac, Ejecta is what you downloaded from github https://github.com/phoboslab/Ejecta

To see memory usage, after running the game, click the third icon from the right, right under where the run button is, and than click memory.

Also, have you tried running on different emulators?

You could send me the capx or the ejecta exported project. I'll check it and try to run it on a real device tonight.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • KFC

Sorry, my mistake. I did have Xcode installed on my Mac, and downloaded Ejecta from Github. I followed all the steps in the tutorial, and tested 2 emulators. iPhone 6 and iPad retina.

I'm in the process of updating the mac's OS, so I'll check it again after that. I have sent you a link to the game via PM.

Thanks!

• Ok, I was able to run your game in landscape mode.

1. Change "Fullscreen in browser" in C2 to "Scale inner" (letterbox scale was probably the cause of the black screen)

2. In Xcode, on the General tab, Device orientation, uncheck portrait/upside down and check Landscape Left and Landscape Right, or on or the other.

3. On the info tab, find "Initial interface orientation" and select "Landscape (left home button)" or right home button.

The game should run with these settings. Obviously some parts of the game will be outside of the screen depending on the screen ratio, but figuring a way to fix that is the beauty of supporting multiple screen sizes.

• KFC - Thanks! It's a rubbish game, but I did what I was told... *sigh*

I'll give this a go tonight

• Maybe just don't minify.

My game has a black screen too if I minify it, but no if i don't.

• Oh yea, I didn't minify the project. But I did get black screens while it was on scale inner fullscreen, even without minification.

• 1. Change "Fullscreen in browser" in C2 to "Scale inner" (letterbox scale was probably the cause of the black screen)

2. In Xcode, on the General tab, Device orientation, uncheck portrait/upside down and check Landscape Left and Landscape Right, or on or the other.

3. On the info tab, find "Initial interface orientation" and select "Landscape (left home button)" or right home button.

KFC I followed your directions in combination with Ashley's tutorial, and I still get a black screen. I'm not minifying my project, it's just not working.

Are you testing it on a simulator, or a device? May I ask how long the app took to load on yours? I sat and watched it this time, and after about 1 minute, the iPad retina simulator rotated 90 degrees and an iPad menu appeared (maps, etc). After about 30 seconds, all the icons apart from Safari vanished, and it rotated back to portrait. 2 minutes after that, XCode informed me that it had lost contact with the device.

I'm exporting it as Ejecta, not HTML5, and I'm downloading the Ejecta project from the link in the tutorial. Copying the export into that folder and replacing the name of the folder as "App". Once done, I'm double clicking the xcode project, setting the settings as you say, and then running the build (which says it's built successfully).

I've done a fresh OS upgrade, as well as a new xcode install. There must be a step somewhere that I'm missing.

I should say I have WebGL on, as I read that Ejecta supports it now.

• I've tested it on the iPhone 4.

Now that I have tried a few simulators, iPad Retina and iPad 2 give me an error after the game launches, iPhone 5s, 6, 6 plus and iPad Air just fail to build altogether.

Although iPhone 4s and iPhone 5 simulators work correctly.

I'd suggest testing on a few real iDevices and see what happens.

• Not to hijack the thread, but I was experiencing the same problem until recently. At first it was just a black screen for any of the simulators followed by (eventually) an error message saying connection was lost, but by and by I managed to get it to the point where it displays the Ejecta logo. Unfortunately that seems to be as far as it will go before suddenly saying connection was lost. I tried hooking up an iPad and it displays the Ejecta logo with no end in sight. What might the problem be now?

Edit: Nix all that, it seems I got it working.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)