Duplicate event sheet

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
- This pack is suitable for shooting games, running games, platform games, and side-scrolling...
  • Could it be possible to add it to some future release?

• you just have to group everything in 'Groups'

Hold Ctrl and click each group highlighting them

then Copy

go to NEW Event Sheet

Create a blank group and paste over it

• Or use "includes".

You shouldn't have to duplicate an event sheet anyway.

• I think it'd be good to have that option, like duplicating layouts, it's just one click. Includes are good if I want to reuse the same code, if I'd like to do some changes, better would be to clone and edit. I can use both methods you're suggesting guys, it just, imo better to have the option than not have it.

• Why couldn't you just select everything in the event sheet and copy it over to a new one?

• Why would you ever want to duplicate an event sheet? This is a really bad idea for maintainability: if you want to make a change you now have to make it in 2 or even more places, rather than just one. This is exactly the problem event sheet includes are designed to solve. So are you sure you really want to actually duplicate events?

• This helped a lot. THANK YOU. I always wondered if there was a way to not have to rewrite all those events lol. Makes my life a heck of a lot easier.

• Ashley:

I find it really good to copy paste a sheet because if you can, you can try out some stuffs without getting confused what has to be disabled all the time and what not.

I already did.

It�s just easier for those who are not that strong in programming or those who just don�t want a mess in one sheet.

Because if they see the new sheet works, they can calmely delete the last one, or use it for something else.

And in my special case: If I teach children and teens. First of all they need to learn the interface. That�s surprisingly difficult for them. Even when I think that�s a simple interface.

I could give them a copy where they just simply copy the sheet, if they didn�t understand, or just don�t want to understand. Last think happens often. But the fun in making games should stay anyway.

Also I realize, it could be a nice thing to use includes. If you see that some events work, and you like it on an extra sheet, you could just copy+paste them to another sheet and use include.

Or if you can copy an entire sheet, you just copy the entire sheet, delete the events you don�t need and then use include.

This could be good for those who are not strong in Javascript. People can make events for other people without using Javascript.

As you can see the use of copy+pasting an event sheet is high.

• Just organize events into a global sheet and local sheet.

In the local event sheets just include the global one.

There are very few cases where you'd actually need such a feature, and I think Linta has one. But it's such a rare case that it shouldn't be a feature, since duplicating it manually would only take a little while.. If it is going to be added though, it should be a low priority..

• Yep. All my layouts have their own event sheet and then just include the events sheets that use common events.

• LintuSotaRauha - I disagree. I think you would be teaching a bad practice right away - copying and pasting code should be avoided in all programming languages, including C2 events and javascript.

Some better ideas:

• toggle events to enable/disable them
    • use separate event groups and enable/disable them
    • save a backup of your entire project, mess around with it, then either keep it or revert to the backup
  • save a backup of your entire project, mess around with it, then either keep it or revert to the backup

Maybe this would even be a good opportunity to teach the basic usage of some revision control through some form of source repository; far too many beginning programmers -- and let's not fool ourselves that putting together events and sorting out logic isn't at it's core the same process as "normal" programming -- are never exposed to or taught about the many wonderful tools they can and should be using to improve the development experience. Teach them how to check-in changes and roll back broken updates from a repository!

• I disagree to your thinking of messing around.

That is what I mean. Young people starting to discover the computer beyond chatting don?t know about handling an interface at all.

Starting to make a mess in purpose would make everything worse.

U must know that I agree with you if there are only people handling new programs very well and fast. But that?s not happening at all. You can not expect people to know the interface just like that. I needed to learn it as well. Try to teach your grand grandma Construct 2. You will know what I mean.

Especially when they don?t know programming, that?s why they have chosen Construct 2, they don?t like to have a mess. They need to know where to look. Otherwise this program is frustrating them to much that they just don?t like to use it.

Even if they managed to overcome a mess and still had an overview of the mess, it is not necessary to copy the entire project. Then you make a mess in your files. This is like you want a mess in you whole computer. Because of some graphic projects, I know what I mean. It will happen that you just loose the latest version of a project.

I don?t think that many people would agree to that. Especially when people are used to use programs like Photoshop where you just copy a layer and try out stuffs in one picture. Also to copy the events of an entire sheet bit by bit is taking a lot of time = frustrating.

I don?t think that this is a special thing about teaching some kids.

I think this can help people trying out a new program and trying to make a game without program knowledge.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I disagree to your thinking of messing around.

Though, empiric discovery and experimentation in C2 are highly advised and rarely penalised as long as you stick to good practices.

hat is what I mean. Young people starting to discover the computer beyond chatting don?t know about handling an interface at all.

Starting to make a mess in purpose would make everything worse.

[...] You can not expect people to know the interface just like that. I needed to learn it as well. Try to teach your grand grandma Construct 2. You will know what I mean.

Especially when they don?t know programming, that?s why they have chosen Construct 2, they don?t like to have a mess. They need to know where to look. Otherwise this program is frustrating them to much that they just don?t like to use it.

It's the teacher's role to accompany the student in its discovery of the interface/programming.

ven if they managed to overcome a mess and still had an overview of the mess, it is not necessary to copy the entire project. Then you make a mess in your files. This is like you want a mess in you whole computer. Because of some graphic projects, I know what I mean. It will happen that you just loose the latest version of a project.

Having logic and rigour and a good organisation of your saved files shouldn't result in losing files, or else, once again, there is some wrong practice going on somewhere.

If you save on a regular basis new capx files, with clearly a different name, nothing like that should happen.

don?t think that many people would agree to that. Especially when people are used to use programs like Photoshop where you just copy a layer and try out stuffs in one picture./quote]

Construct 2 allow you to quickly test stuff in layouts/layers as well.

But ultimately, comparing photoshop and C2 is compraing two not comparable things as those are two different softwares with two different goals, requiring two different workflows.

You don't need to pay the same attention to the same things in code as in an image you're making.

lso to copy the events of an entire sheet bit by bit is taking a lot of time = frustrating.

Once again, you shouldn't be copying entire sheets. It's not exactly clear what you're referring to, but it seems to me there's some missed point here.

don?t think that this is a special thing about teaching some kids.

I think this can help people trying out a new program and trying to make a game without program knowledge.

Having no programming knowledge doesn't prevent from being rigorous, and actually the good thing with C2 is that you slowly learn how to program in a "none boring" way.

But still it is programming, and the teacher needs to be able to pass those basics and be able to frame the experimentations of its students when needed. Programming is demanding and you have to have some idea of what you're doing, or else indeed, your project might end up a mess.

Experimentations are to be directed by the teacher, even if the student doesn't see/feel it clearly.

And this goes for elder as younger people.

Once people have some basic understanding of programming, then they can be "released" and free to experiment in their own ways.

• I found if something won't load from one event sheet it's better to try and work off another sheet when using include. I don't why it worked, but that was my solution when the event sheet didn't load or work with the include.

AarongamerX 's tut also helped.

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/377/us ... le-layouts

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)