Destroy on Startup [CC-to-C2-Request]

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
A cool way for kids to write and practice English Alphabets
  • hi, i was fiddling with Construct Classic, and i found this feature that most of the objects have there, which i find very interesting and i think very useful, the action or object attribute im talking about is "Destroy on Startup" is a checkbox that will destroy any ticked object on beginning on startup of a layout.

which personally i find it very useful, since instead of just adding the event request for each object on "start of layout" -"destroy", that wold make in larger projects, the requirement to just create a entire event sheet just to add the destroyable/removable objects on startup, now i dont know if this request was asked before or not, i tried to quickly search for it but couldn't find anything related to it in C2.

personally i wold love to have that function under make object global. wold make life much easier in C2 when comes to cleaning up sprites/objects we dont want to have in the editor on start of layout, and without adding the request in event system.

what you guys think? good not good? i give it a +1 as a future C2 implementation. Ashley

everyone also id love to have the [at] everyone to call most of users or team scirra in a post then just to write a user name like calling group scirra etc or the friend groups we have in profile to be able to call them in forum posts that we make.

for example we all know that if we go to inbox we can add friends , we can add the friends into a group and so on, now imagine having the ability to call that group of friends. just with [@] groupname +1 Tom what do you think?

• "Destroy on Startup" - is a good feature.

Rather than use "Destroy" on start of the layout - there are three more easy ways to implement that feature:

(Evolution of my solutions)

*Add behavior "Destroy outside layout" and place it outside layout - not good for all the cases.

*Add all the objects you want to destroy in a family (I call that family "Destroyable"), and easily drag into that family all the sprites you want to destroy, and on start of the layout destroy only that family - cons: you have to create a family for each type of plugins: Sprites, Particles, Texts....

*Instead creating objects in the main layout and destroying them - create objects in another layout and never use that layout

• (Evolution of my solutions)

*Add behavior "Destroy outside layout" and place it outside layout - not good for all the cases.

*Add all the objects you want to destroy in a family (I call that family "Destroyable"), and easily drag into that family all the sprites you want to destroy, and on start of the layout destroy only that family - cons: you have to create a family for each type of plugins: Sprites, Particles, Texts....

*Instead creating objects in the main layout and destroying them - create objects in another layout and never use that layout

i agree with you, the work around's for this feature are plenty, but why do that? instead of just ticking a box?

doesn't it feel more natural?

i dont deny the family placing object that u can destroy is smart, and most of the mentions you did i already knew or thinked by now at them, but the new people wont or if they will they will probably take the same course of learning as we did, however not all objects in C2 can be placed in 1 family, tiled-backgrounds and texts for example and buttons are different entities, while sprites and sprite-maps are another thing, also sprite-fonts.

having this feature, as we already have with the "make global" is much easier, and since Construct Classic already proves it can be done, i dont see why it didn't stayed in C2?

going back to the work around, the family one since plenty objects in C2 cant be placed in same family, you will still horde a bunch of families, also having the sprites all in a separate layout, will kill your app performance even if that layout is only used for object archive. the image memory/ download size is considerable increasing when you have sprites/objects in a layout no matter if its used or not.

if the checkbox is to much maybe? even if i doubt that, can be a behavior made that can be added?

but i think the destroy on start of layout, was planned to be implemented long time ago, it might be was just forgotten in favor of other better things, which where more important, at the time of transition.

what do you guys think?

lets put it to a small civil vote just for results to show up then if scirra team wants to implement it they will decide, im just curious how many of you will want to choose option A or B.

option A :

>

• or make a hord on start of layout of all objects you want to destroy.
    • add fade behavior and activate the fade on start of layout etc
    • work arounds can be many
    • edited: as

newt said and myself above mentioned, maybe create a custom plugin/behavior.

option B:

• 1 checkbox that you set on each object to destroy on start of layout.

if we count the work arounds this 1 checkbox feature has, youl find is like 1 implementation to remove about 5-10 workarounds.

1 action to eliminate 10 others.

just say +1 A or +1 B.

im dying to see the results.

Edited: even if this issue was addressed early on C2 transition from CC, its a feature that should be taken in consideration, even if its not a fire-burning implementation. its one of those things that as i mentioned above multiple times, wold make things feel more natural. i know C2 development is not anymore that important, and the new C3 transition comes above all, i totally get it, but as Newt said bellow, if this was asked early that was probably in 2012-2013 ... its 4 years later now i think is scirra's responsibility to have the feeling of improving the software, and support this type of implementation officially, and not only to mantain isn't it? cause we all can say use a third party/custom behavior when comes to more work on table. but the 3rd parties/behaviors/plugins, wont be always updated with the latest version of C2, as more then maybe 80% of C2 plugins that are made by people around community is outdated, and brake when a new C2 releases.

and i know C2 for now is still going to be developed, until the C3 or R300 which will become C2 last update presumably, and the C3 release will happen, but till then we still have another year or 2 to go, and C2 will still remain the one product that will count as sales.

• I remember asking for this when C2 first came out.

The response was use events, or go third party.

I would not be surprised if rex didn't already have a behavior.

• As much as I would like to see this feature implemented into the C2 engine, I doubt that anything will be done about this judging by Ashley's response in the past.

If you want a 3rd party plugin to destroy multiple objects at once, HERE is a plugin that pretty much does that.

• As much as I would like to see this feature implemented into the C2 engine, I doubt that anything will be done about this judging by Ashley's response in the past.

If you want a 3rd party plugin to destroy multiple objects at once, HERE is a plugin that pretty much does that.

that is awesome thanks, however i did not made the topic to get a plugin or behavior, but to possibly raise the interest in the feature so maybe we could change Ashleys mind?

• that is awesome thanks, however i did not made the topic to get a plugin or behavior, but to possibly raise the interest in the feature so maybe we could change Ashleys mind?

No problem, more the work of armaldio actually.

I don't think that we need to change his mind, this is more one of those "comfort" feature requests so basically not a high priority for him right now.

I guess this could be added to his endless list of C3 features, if it's not on that list already.

• "Destroy on Startup" - is a good feature.

- I agreed with you from the start, the only reason why I had so many evolution steps - the needed feature is absent.

So, yeah, both hands up.

• > "Destroy on Startup" - is a good feature.

>

- I agreed with you from the start, the only reason why I had so many evolution steps - the needed feature is absent.

So, yeah, both hands up.

I know Yura, i wasn't arguing with you was trying to make a statement for scirra team to take it in consideration more, i expressed myself weird i guess!

TheRealDannyyy yeap, exactly what i was saying is something that wold make C2 feel more natural or as you said it make it more "comfortable"!

Happy New Year Guys!

• Here's the relevant original discussion on the third oldest page of "Construct 2 General":

The CC feature was called attributes and the decision was to replace them with behaviors instead. So a behavior could probably be done to implement a destroy on startup.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Here's the relevant original discussion on the third oldest page of "Construct 2 General":

The CC feature was called attributes and the decision was to replace them with behaviors instead. So a behavior could probably be done to implement a destroy on startup.

aw that...that explains it much better, thanks R0j0Hound ! i think now also, that wold be the best approach, since the poll had a good argument on why wold be best to get the attributes as behaviors.

im guessing this topic should move into requests section for behaviors then?

zenox98 , Kyatric can this post/topic be moved in extending Construct2 request section please? when you find time... its not a hurry!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)