No way to deploy to Android

0 favourites
  • C2 need a time to make it's become possible, anyway, you still can make game and deploy it to many platform, so don't judge it too fast, i'm making game for android using this soft, and i see nothing is impossible if you try your best and in love with it.

Something can be impossible in yesterday but it's possible in tomorrow and the next day. (sry for bad Eng)

• I think Joskin is getting at the fact that the website implies C2 can publish to android in the sense that GameMaker can, using the Android SDK and compiling a native app, when in actual fact, it's publishing a HTML5 game that can be wrapped using appMobi or run using CocoonJS. I would have to agree, to a new user it is a little misleading but I'm not complaining, I followed the progress and always new what was involved when I made my purchase.

I think for new users/customers it probably is best to make clear that C2 doesn't actually publish to android in the way people would expect this statement to mean.

• Exactly FredQ.

"i'm making game for android using this soft"

I'm sure you can make games for android with C2, but you have to learn JS / CocoonJS in addition of C2 :/

For example how to do an input text for cocoonjs ?

• So I'm guessing that whenever some feature from C2 doesn't work when wrapped using Cocoonjs the devs from both softwares talk to each other? Right?

Also, how tight is this collaboration? I mean I understand the primary concern is C2 for the web and EXE I imagine, but how much importance is given whenever, say, sounds don't work when a game is playing on Cocoon?

Do you guys mainly just wait for Ludei to get a fix for the issue and help them when they ask for it? :)

• Just because it can't publish to one version of Android it doesn't mean Construct can't export to Android altogether.

There are many phones and tablets with different Android versions going around. My phone, Samsung Galaxy Ace, only supports the Android 2.3. That means I can't install Chrome nor Mozilla for Android, meaning I have to suffer from the godawful browser and performance.

And yet, on this phone I can play Android games made with Construct 2.

Don't blame Scirra for CocoonJS failing to meet expectations, especially for the newest platform.

• Mipey I don't think it's about that. I think it's that to new comers 'Publish to Android' means one thing, export to Android (eg. completed APK). Not 'export for appMobi' or 'export for CocoonJS', so I can see where the confusion is coming in. I think people are thinking that C2 can publish to Android without the need for the middle man to bridge the gap.

There's no mention anywhere of there being a need to use third party software or cloud compiling to achieve this.

As I said earlier, this is no complaint of mine, I bought into it knowing this was the case but I can see the problem people have if they have forked out �79 for something that doesn't actually export to Android in quite the way they had expected.

• - The form control plugins Textbox and Button are not supported.

- The AJAX object is not supported.

- The XML object is not supported.

- The Facebook object is not supported.

- The letterbox fullscreen modes are not supported. If they are selected, it will fall back to simple Scale mode instead.

- The Text plugin's 'Set web font' action is not supported.

- The WebStorage plugin's session storage is not available. Use local storage or global variables instead.

- Most features of the Browser object are not supported.

• Accelerometer is not supported, even now that Ludei is claiming support.

Yeah, must be a joke ... Or explain me how to send an apps made on Constuct 2 directly on my android device.

Phonegap 1.7.x recompiled with Eclipse is still the best choice.

• Thanks for the answers, I'm not blaming C2, its a really good game maker. I'm blaming the "Publish to android" on homepage.

I'll try Phonegap :)

• :)) Joskin maybe it's good for ad, but with cocoonjs and appmobi, c2's game still can be publish, and about c2, it's still need have more time.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • > Yeah, must be a joke ... Or explain me how to send an apps made on Constuct 2 directly on my android device.

Phonegap 1.7.x recompiled with Eclipse is still the best choice.

Is this manual method really any better than the online Phonegap method? Reading around some other threads, it didn't necessarily seem to be the case. I exported to Phonegap and used the online service and the performance wasn't nearly as good compared to CocoonJS. I have no doubt that results may vary from game to game.

Maybe my poor performance was due to using text boxes in my Phonegap export, when I understand that's a big no no for performance... though, it didn't affect my CocoonJS performance. Spritefont plugin doesn't work for Cocoon currently, but maybe it would for Phonegap? I'll have to experiment with it more later I guess.

• Is this manual method really any better than the online Phonegap method? Reading around some other threads, it didn't necessarily seem to be the case. I exported to Phonegap and used the online service and the performance wasn't nearly as good compared to CocoonJS. I have no doubt that results may vary from game to game.

Maybe my poor performance was due to using text boxes in my Phonegap export, when I understand that's a big no no for performance... though, it didn't affect my CocoonJS performance. Spritefont plugin doesn't work for Cocoon currently, but maybe it would for Phonegap? I'll have to experiment with it more later I guess.

Phonegap has very poor performance. It becomes just a little better using the manual method and some tweaks like disabling some unused features, setting renderpriority to high and using an external audio player instead the C2 audio object.

I still use it simply (for testing purposes and waiting for something better) because it's the only wrapper that really works with 100% compatibility. No matter if you are using custom objects or behaviors, with phonegap what you see on desktop chrome is what you get also on android but with a barely acceptable framerate.

CocoonJS in its current status is unstable, eats a lot of RAM on the phone, lacks a lot of C2 advanced features and even some basic like accelerometer.

I know that Ludei is working hard on it but now it's not ready for production, hopefully it will be in the near future.

On the other side, I'll never release an app packed with Phonegap. Performance is ridicolous compared to native.

It may sound demotivating but my guess is that we'll never see complex HTML5 apps working at a decent speed on the current Android phone generation.

• Hello Construct2 developers,

Ludei is trying it's best to provide you with a way of deploying your apps to the markets with the best performance possible and ways of monetizing them. Many of you have already deployed apps on Google Play (we will soon release a full list of the games) and the results are incredible. Great work. Hopefully in the next releases you will find out that many new features have been added. Please, stay tuned and do not hesitate to contact us if you need further assistance.

Thank you for using CocoonJS and for al the awesome work you are doing!

• Hello Construct2 developers,

Ludei is trying it's best to provide you with a way of deploying your apps to the markets with the best performance possible and ways of monetizing them. Many of you have already deployed apps on Google Play (we will soon release a full list of the games) and the results are incredible. Great work. Hopefully in the next releases you will find out that many new features have been added. Please, stay tuned and do not hesitate to contact us if you need further assistance.

Thank you for using CocoonJS and for al the awesome work you are doing!

Hi, I am really interested in trying your services and becoming your customer... but it seems that your Android app is not compatible with my Google Nexus 7... how can that be possible?

Thabk you for your help, it's higly appreciated!

• I'd like to know that too since my new tablet isn't compatible either. It's not a Nexus, it's a BQ Edison released in September.

Just to clarify, the Android Market isn't allowing me to download the app, but the debug .apk works fine. But I'd really like to be able to install it from the market to recieve updates, etc.

• Hi Duke

You can download the debug apk from here: wiki.ludei.com/cocoonjs:launcherapp

Xavier

Yes, We know that It is going to be better when you can download and update the app directly from the market. We are working on it. Thanks!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)